1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to see a Copen this weekend...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Spirit, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Spirit

Spirit Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 500S
    ..with my daughter, and wondered is there anything in particular to look out for?

Hello everyone

I know cars and don't want anything rusty or a tired engine etc. But I don't know anything about Copens so wondered what are some things to check for once we get there?

It's a 2004 (53 reg) with 85,000 miles and a full MOT.

Many thanks!

2. Chrismadeley

Chrismadeley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid Special Edition
    Is it the Copen with the turbocharger or the later version without the turbocharger? The one with the turbocharger needs to have an oil change every six months while the one without only once a year. So the Copen with the turbocharger is more expensive to look after!

3. Spirit

Spirit Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 500S
    The advert says it's a 0.66 litre Roadster, it doesn't mention a turbo?

4. pearlcopen

pearlcopen Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen
    I think all the .66 copens have a turbo. It does mean it needs an oil change every 6 months.

5. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Every 3000

6. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Somehow posted before I finished! Turbo engines need oil every 3000 miles but not very much! Our indy garage does it for £35 so not expensive really. Just make sure it's been done like this all it's life or maybe the turbo will go! That's more expensive than an oil change. Might also suggest you look at my post in general "one week in out of two" shows quite clearly where the tin worm strikes!

7. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Oh -- and lift the carpet flap, not the plastic blind that prevents inadvertent roof activation but that covers the roof workings and tool kit and check the boot floor. Also if you peel off the boot seal you can check if rusty behind. Hope all goes well for you, they're fun and my missus still loves hers after 10 years!

8. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    This will help you

Daihatsu Copen Buyers Guide

All 53 Copens are .66 turbos so check the service history. Rust is the other big problem with Copens as they were not designed for the UKs weather or salt on the roads. If you find a good one your daughter will love it though :)

9. Spirit

Spirit Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 500S
    Thank you for all the replies and help here, we're going tomorrow to see it and I have a good idea now what to look for.
    I'll post pics if we get it

10. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    How much is the owner asking for the Copen?

11. Spirit

Spirit Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 500S