1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo failure after one day :(

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Emma Fitzpatrick, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Emma Fitzpatrick

Emma Fitzpatrick Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.6 Turbo 53 reg
    Finally bought the copen I'd been dying to own on Sunday for 1360£, its a 53 reg silver (and hence the 0.6 engine), with red leather and 85,000 miles. Private seller owned it for 3 years and did 800 miles overall and last had oil changed January of this year so figured would change oil and filter soon as possible. However after driving it the 200 miles home and the 70 miles back to my university the next morning, by the evening I had lost all power. At first i though it was because of the steep hills where I live and the slippy icy roads but 3 days later its parked up at a garage due to excessive foul smelling smoke plumes from the exhaust and a horrific draughty window noise coming from the engine and a complete lack of power,they've told me the turbo has in fact failed. I need to find a turbo ASAP, could anyone recommend where i would find one for cheap as possible? I am a 20 year old student so money is tight ... :/ and i need to find one soon as the garage don't want to keep my car there too long before they work on it.

2. Emma Fitzpatrick

Car(s):
    I've just had a quote for a re manufacture of the turbo for 325 ? If i remove the turbo and post it to them they'll remanufacture it and send it back? Is this any good? has anyone else had a turbo remanufactured instead of replaced?

3. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    No! :cry::mad::cry: Turbos don't really come cheap.

I don't know about getting one re manufactured but I'm sure someone will have some advice on that, you could try breakers yards but you won't necessarily know the history of the turbo you buy from them and could have a similar problem later.

A new turbo will probably cost almost as much as the car so it may be worth the risks of re manufacture / breakers. Let us know how you get on :sweating:

4. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    I would ask here..Turbo Sales, Spares & Repairs

If they can re manufacture it for a fair rate, but with 85000 miles ofter is a crack in its housings. Sorry for the bad news.:cry:

5. Emma Fitzpatrick

Car(s):
    Yeah I was thinking it might be worth the risk , but this is my 4th car this year and 2nd faulty car in less than a month so would really like to just get it sorted first time. I've also got oil filter and oil on order to do at same time as turbo.
    I've had quote from www.turbochargers-solutions.co.uk for 846 for new turbocharger? don't suppose you or anyone knows if this website is trustworthy ?
    Edit: never mind its that much + VAT which takes it to over 1000 and essentially asm much as i paid for the car
    I think I'll call back about the remanufacture, although if what you say about a crack is true it might not work :/

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  6. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    Hi Emma,
    The first way is start a call for remanufacture. They should tell you if it possible.
    Remanufacture is like new with a garantie.;)

And my new tuned hybridloader was 1350 incl VAT Euro 2 years ago..:think:

7. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
  8. Emma Fitzpatrick

Car(s):
    Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I'm certainly going to see if its possible to order that one!

9. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    maybe you have someone to help you translate it...think best prize at black friday..hope i could help you..:wasntme::blush:

10. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Hi Emma,
    Don't you have any redress under law ?

11. Emma Fitzpatrick

Car(s):
    redress under law?
    id imagine not as the seller probably didnt know having covered only 800 miles in 3 years in it
    and welz, the link you sent me says its plus 200 deposit until they receive the old part, does that mean i have to send my old turbo back and then get my 200 back once they receive it?

12. Spirit

Spirit Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 500S
  13. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    Hi Emma.if you buy it friday you get 17% off and you must pay 200 Euro deposit for the old one for the moment more ..after change you send it back and get the 200 Euro back. Here in germany that for waterpumps , turboloaders ..etc..these things go to remanifacture later.

14. Nedryerson

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Emma, its worth asking. The seller might look sympathetically on your situation.
    By the way are you 'Spirit' and 'Emma' I'm confused by the last post.

15. Spirit

Spirit Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat 500S
    Emma is my daughter :)

16. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    A Copen for only 1600 Euros :)..nice..136000 Km first loader...:wasntme:..buy the new loader and have fun..:wasntme:

Nobody can look at an turboloader after 100000 km and say it goes for 1000 miles..nobody..:speechless: bad luck..often it wrecks soon after so 80000..

@Spirit give your daughter the deposit..;) like i do ever for my 2 boys..:think: or better not:Dsaw it never again until today..:eek::(

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  17. Nedryerson

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Mystery solved

18. Emma Fitzpatrick

Car(s):
    The turbo has been ordered now!

19. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

So sorry for your disappointment :( On the upside looks like you've actually got a great (and unusual) little motor. I hope you find a quick and affordable fix so that you can get on with enjoying the drive like the rest of us :rofl:

20. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

PS looks like you just beat me to posting, well done