1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dump Valve???

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Alan Choi, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Alan Choi

Alan Choi Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 660cc
    This is the 1st time I owned a 2005 660cc Copen. I just want to ask if it is ok to put a off market dump valve and how I am going to install it . Thank for everyone

2. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    the question is, why you want to use another blow off for this tiny car...the orginal is not bad.
    lot of money, jepp, sometimes better for the turbo, not really more HPs, engine use more petrol..

Wastegate / Blow off valve

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  3. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I agree, unless your one's faulty or you want the noise there's no gains to be had.

4. Alan Choi

Car(s):
    Copen 660cc
    Thank you . I just like the sound of the dump valve. that is the reason why I want to put a after market one.

5. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Is it ok to install a dump valve? Yes (probably)

But should you? Depends. It's not really necessary and the engine may perform slightly worse for one or two reasons.
    1. Dump valves will expel the boost air to atmosphere instead of keeping it within the intake so it can be used again. (in other words, more turbo lag if boost is discharged instead of re-routed, and that means slightly slower response) It is a tiny turbo so it probably wont make that much difference.

2. I don't know how the ecu in the Copen will behave. It might or might not be able to see the boost pressure changes and venting to atmosphere may make it behave funny. Again, I cannot confirm this.

As for the installation, make sure it is a quality dump valve. You wouldn't want to run into any boost leaks (Copen's are ridiculously slow without boost). Here are some diagrams to show how the factory unit is installed and a video showing how to install one (not a Copen in video)
    BOOST CONTROLL.png

Bleary and Alan Choi like this.
  6. Alan Choi

Car(s):
    Copen 660cc
    Thank You So Much .....

7. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003