Where is the engine number?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by freddyzdead, Jan 11, 2017.

1. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    I am the proud owner of a 2003 Copen, just starting to trudge up the learning curve. Since I bought the car interstate, the process of getting it registered is pretty painful. To begin with, I have to find the engine number (660 engine). I have been right through the forums, and there is nothing, apart from someone else looking for the same thing, but no real answer. So I am hoping there is someone out there who can tell me where to look. Thanks.

2. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Have you got the owners manuel?
    Normally it will tell you where to find it in there.
    I'll try to dig mine out when i get home

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Do you really need the engine number or do you mean the vehicle identification number? the VIN can be found in the engine bay on the firewall

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    The VIN is stamped on the firewall in the engine bay just below the windscreen. The engine code is L880K for the 660cc model, and is also part of the VIN - likely your VIN starts as JDAL880K

5. freddyzdead

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    None of the above. In New South Wales, when you want to register a car from interstate, it has to be inspected at an authorised unregistered vehicle inspection station. All the numbers have to be sighted on the actual vehicle. Besides the manufacturers identification plate, there is an Australian government compliance plate, which should be next to the former, but in the case of Copens, it is not. I finally found it in the boot, riveted to the floor, and far enough to the front you might not even see it. You have to lift the carpet all the way up. The inspector finally found the engine number with a tiny camera on a snake. Thanks anyway, guys. I think you'll be seeing a lot of me here, I've got a lot to learn.

@jez77, is there any chance of scanning your owners manual, or getting someone to do it? The only one available here in Resources is the 1.3L version. It would be nice to have the correct one. I would happily do it if I could get my hands on it, but I'm down here near Sydney.

6. gotboost?

gotboost? Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Sorry to revive an older thread, but I thought I'd just add in some detail for anyone that does a google search and ends up here.

If you're looking for the engine number on the JB-DET (660cc) model, it's located where the gearbox meets up with the engine, directly above the big letters on the engine block that say 'JB'.

Illustration for reference:
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 10.32.53 am.png

7. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    @jez77, is there any chance of scanning your owners manual, or getting someone to do it? The only one available here in Resources is the 1.3L version. It would be nice to have the correct one. I would happily do it if I could get my hands on it, but I'm down here near Sydney.[/QUOTE]

This one?

Service Manuals - 659cc model

8. Salieri

Car(s):
    There is a german version of the 660 owners manual in the resources section. What do you need? I might be able to translate it for you

9. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    This one?

Service Manuals - 659cc model[/QUOTE]

I haven't been able to find my manual since I moved house, I'm sure it's in a box somewhere. Once I find it I'll scan it in.

10. Salieri

Car(s):
    A service manual is not an owners manual :D
    And could you please fix your quotes? It's making me nervous and I'm getting all confused:mask:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    shane likes this.
  11. freddyzdead

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Indeed, a service manual is not an owners manual. It appears to me that there is information in the owners manual that doesn't appear anywhere else.

@jez77 When you do find and scan it, I will be forever in your debt.

12. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66

Good point. For some reason I thought the owners manual was included in the zip. [/QUOTE :mm:]

Salieri likes this.