1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do u think of this?

Discussion in 'Dealers and Suppliers' started by Rex, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Received a letter today from my local dealer in Newport (or I should say ex-local dealer as they are no longer Daihatsu dealers.

"As you are currently aware Daihatsu are currently not bringing new vehicles to the UK due to a very week Yen. This situation is currently very fluid and as much as the manufacturer continues support for parts and warranty, no cars have been imported into the UK for some considerable time. We have now reached a point that there are no new Daihatsu cars in the UK and with the Yen still far away from a point where it is viable to recommence imports there is no sign of any change to the situation in the foreseeable future.

What does this mean to you?

Nothing to worry about as we will continue to support all servicing repairs and warranty, however you should be aware that as the Daihatsu withdrawal continues and it becomes more common knowledge the inevitable accelerated depreciation of your car will occur, added to parts cost which sine have risen by up to 60% to allow for currency fluctuations and their decreasing UK parts stock, maybe it's time to consider other options as this may be your last chance to maximise the value of your Daihatsu.

As I'm sure you're aware we now represent both Suzuki and Mitsubishi, however as it stands at present we have customers waiting for used Daihatsu's and I feel I have at least some moral responsibility to offer some very special opportunities unique to Daihatsu owners giving you a large discount off certain new Suzuki or Mitsubishi cars as well as an inflated part exchange price.

To give some examples we have...."

The letter goes on to to quote some new car prices.

What do u think??

Rex.

2. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    I think the dealers are getting a bit desperate!

They have no new Daihatsus to sell, so understandably they are looking for other ways of making money. I would interpret this simply as an attempt to drum up some new business.

I accept that prices for spare parts must be getting higher, but I'm not convinced about "accelerated depreciation". Maybe some other models will depreciate faster, but I could see the opposite happening with the Copen as it becomes rarer and more collectable. I guess only time will tell.

3. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Sorry, but I think that is an insult to your intelligence. In particular the part about "moral responsibility".

When did car dealers start to worry about your money?

I agree with rushmere. It's a feeble attempt to drum up business. I also think that Copen values will hold. They'll still depreciate of course, but their rarity will keep values at least on the right side of "strong".

They want to sell you a new car and offer you a sh*t price for your Daihatsu because no one will want them, (as they are implying) now that they are no longer being imported. I don't think so.

Phew.....take a long, slow breath.:D

M.

4. smx

smx Copenworld Member

Hi, I'm new here (Hello) but i had to say something, that is the worst worded letter ever, i dont get it they have a "moral responsibility to offer some very special opportunities"

But there still willing (in there eyes) to screw over new customers with used Daihatsu's that are worth peanuts and to exspensive to repair! "we have customers waiting for used Daihatsu's "

I agree, the less copens around the better they will hold value, as for parts, by the time UK stock runs out then hopefully the yen will have come down and we can just order them direct from Japan.

5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Good point smx (and welcome!). The wrost bit is I have only had the car 7 months...

If it means Copens are less common - GOOD.

Rex.

6. Sardine

Sardine Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen only
    Ditto the above. Dodgy logic, dodgy dealers.:(

Sardine.