1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE OIL THREAD

Discussion in 'Dealers and Suppliers' started by shane, Jul 10, 2018.

1. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    Use this thread to comment good prices for engine and gearbox oils...

Saw today

Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 Oil 5L Full Synthetic
    Now in UK Halfords at £27.20 for 5L. 20% reduced.

Also on Amazon for the same price in UK.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Mobil 3000 X1 FE is an engine oil for Ford engines, it has a reduced high temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity (see also: ACEA A1 and A5). Not really recommended for our cars :D

Look for something thats at least got the ACEA A3/B4 or C3, better if it has a MB-Approval 229.5 or BMW Longlife-01

Like this one: Total QUARTZ 9000 ENERGY 5W-40 - Engine oil - Oils at 123spareparts.co.uk

Which is cheaper, even if you have to pay a whopping 7.99 for shipping

3. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    I don't entirely dispute what you are saying, Salieri, but in the service manual the only specifications I can see are SAE = 5w-30 and API = SG or higher.

Mobil 3000 X1 FE is SAE = 5w-30 and API SL. The API number is higher than recommended. From that point of view alone, the oil seems to hit the spot.

Regarding ACEA specs, the Mobil 3000 X1 FE is A5/B5, which isn't much different from any other oil I have looked at - it's the same as Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 for example

This leaves the question of HTHS. Now that, I really hadn't noticed. I know it is a viscosity spec but I am not really sure how that relates to the 5w-30 spec..

Interestingly Mobil 3000 X1 FE 5w-30 is one of the recommended oils for the Copen shown on the Mobil website...

Which Oil for my Car? - Mobil™ UK & Ireland

And it was recommended on the Halfords product finder in the shop.

I would be good to discuss further. It's interesting stuff, I think.

PS the Total oil you linked to is a very nice price. It's a shame the postage pushes the price up again!

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    I am aware that the manual only quotes the API SG or SH, but to be honest, the API levels are not asking for much performance, ACEA and the manufacturers approvals have way higher standards to be fulfilled.

A1 and A5 oils only have one purpose: "Fuel efficiency" at the cost of wear protectio (there is literally no upside to it, as the fuel savings are negligible)
    You can read about it here if you like: High Temperature High Shear Viscosity of Engine Oils - Commercial Lubricants | Off-Highway Vehicle Lubricants | Lubrizol Additives
    I quote:
    I went to the Mobil1 site and typed in my car, Mobil1 FS 0W-40 was *highly* recommended, and the 3000 X1 FE is only listed as a second choice. Which I agree with, as the FS 0W-40 has ACEA A3/B4 and MB-Approval 229.5 -> clearly superior

You can however use the 3000 X1 FE if you like, as it meets the bare minimum, but it is definitely not the best choice for the money

I'm very sure you can find the Total oil at another site for a cheaper price, or just buy enough to be eligible for free shipping :D Ask @welz about the Total Quartz Energy, he loves it

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  6. Salieri

Car(s):
    If you are out for the best deal, just look for the cheapest 5W-40, 0W-40, 0W-30 or 5W-30 that meets ACEA A3/B4 and MB-Approval 229.5.
    Here is a shop that offers free shipping: Engine Oil and Motor Oil - mytyres.co.uk
    You can get the Total for ~23 quid there

I for my own car use this oil (its a bit more expensive): Shell - mytyres.co.uk

7. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003