1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small is beautiful

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Harryholic, May 5, 2016.

1. Harryholic

Harryholic Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2009
    So, they put double yellow lines outside my residence.
    My car could squeeze into the tiny yard, but exit required use of the windows or sunroof.
    A Mini was tried, and fitted the space easily, and one door could be opened, just.
    So, after researching the narrowest cars in the UK, a Copen was purchased, and yup, you can open both doors and exit with relative ease.
    That was about 3 weeks ago, so have been easing into micro driving.

2009, 1.3 version in Silver (most seem to be in Silver..), 60 off thousand on the clock.
    Insurance is pennies, much perkier than it should be, handling ability fits the go-kart description, reminds me of an original mini or metro - nil bump absorption, but braking is not required to cover even the tightest roundabout.
    Interior space is adequate, the diminutive size only becoming apparent, when you have a passenger, and shoulders touch, and there is a fight for the arm rest.

Local journeys are no issue, but a couple of long runs left me missing a cupholder. Google has advised me the early VW Lupo had a single DIN unit that was quite square faced that's been used in various older cars, so the clock is heading out, and we'll try and fit one later today along with a Stereo/hands free phone kit.

Grill was cracked, so a replacement has arrived from Japan, and will be fitted in a week or two, along with a couple of parking scuffs being repainted on the front bumper.

Former Daihatsu Dealer in Aylesbury (Now Subaru) has done a "just in case" major service and gave her a general inspection to put my mind at rest, and reported no faults or issues; rust that I've read about on here doesn't seem to have raised its head (yet ??).

Picked up a cheeky custom plate from the DVLA to match the character of the car this week.

Some questions -
    Were custom bags ever available for the boot to maximise luggage space ?
    Should there be a Tonneau cover for when the roof is down ? - none came with the car, but the gap between the boot and the rear of the cabin looks as though it should have one.
    Seat Belts not returning - Argggh ! - any solutions ? is it just the angle / position of the seat to the belt holder or is the spring just not up to the job ?

20160504_173437.jpg 20160504_173511.jpg

2. Harryholic

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2009
    Home is Bridgend South Wales, but I'm based in Aylesbury Bucks at the moment...

3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    The tonneau cover was an option. There are three parts to the cover - the cover itself (in a bag), two hooks in the boot to support the cover bag, and a different bulkhead top. I've made a video on how to install the cover and assorted parts.

To be perfectly honest, I've used the cover a grand total of twice so it wasn't worth the cost (good learning experience fitting it, though)! Now you can easily make a wee little shelf out of MDF to fit where the tonneau cover is, to increase usable bootspace. Attached are the plans and dimensions
    10432549_543564318207_1657245567915144648_n.jpg
    10486783_543564323197_4677252241980939856_n.jpg

I also have another video on how to replace the Copen's stereo / clock - it's very simple and can be done at home in about 20 mins.

If you're gonna throw away the clock, I'll gladly take it off your hands :)

Rich JJ likes this.
  4. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Congratulations on a very practical purchase, and welcome to Copenworld. :)

The tonneau cover was an optional extra. I bought one, it was quite expensive, and I never use it. It's very fiddly to put on and take off.

The seat belts are a perennial problem. If you search the forum, you'll see many attempts at solving the problem, with mixed results. Here are a couple of examples:

Surprise Fix
    Seatbelt not retracting

5. Harryholic

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2009
    So off to Halfords tomorrow for some rubber care from Autoglym

Fitted grill this afternoon - 3 screws/plugs and it dropped in. Non original, its sort of a black metalic finish, not sure if its an improvement, but couldn't find a breakers with one in stock, so bit the bullet and purchased from eBay japan.150 ish plus postage plus 30 odd in import charges.
    Makes the scruffy paint on the bonnet and bumper more obvious however, so respray for a couple of panels imminent.
    Cars with an audio electrician tonight/tomorrow having this radio & cup holder fitted.
    Radio going in includes a mount/charger for my phone, do I don't have to find additional space for a phone charger, and can run sat nav off it too.

Cupholders, Sat Nav and a phone not flying around the cabin will make my next long run less stressful

new grilll.jpg
    CMD305A_05-RTP-global-001.jpg

copenworld likes this.
  6. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    It's looking good! That looks like the Ultimate Edition grill so is a genuine daihatsu part - while not the original. I think mine really improves the look of the car, there are a few of us who have swapped our grills for those :cool:

As Copenworld said the tonneau cover is great but quite fiddly to fit - it takes a couple of minutes. I only use mine if I am going on a long journey or showing my car. I love the way it finishes the look of the car but just don't bother to get it out for my journey home from work.

Also if you decide to buy one you need to make sure you have all the parts required to use it. there is the tonneau cover, the hooks to place it in the boot and still be able to put the roof down and either a new rear parcel shelf - with fixings - or you have to modify your own. Number 6s video will explain :) it's a lot of work for something you only use occasionally but I'm sure if I didn't have one I would want one :blush: