OSF ABS sensor and pickup ring for a Daihatsu Copen 1.3

Discussion in 'Dealers and Suppliers' started by Ali Hughes, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Ali Hughes

Ali Hughes Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi there,
    I'm new to Copenworld and this could be the shortest membership ever! My 2007 Copen needs a replacement OSF ABS sensor and pickup ring, but Daihatsu don't make the sensors anymore and the Daihatsu garages I've spoken to have been unable to source the part. I've tried scrap merchants but no joy so far. It's failed the MOT on this point so without a part it's going nowhere! I'd welcome any suggestions - many thanks!

2. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Ali

In the workshop manual under heading E3 brake control, on page E3-31, on section, front wheel speed sensor, it mentions that no foreign substance i.e. dirt has adhered to the tip end of the sensor. I would use something like carburetor cleaner, petrol or mild thinners with a little brush to clean the sensor off. These are essentially a proximity switch which runs on a magnetic field, therefore at the bottom of the page it mentions that the rotor should have no deep scratches, chips or deformation so it could do with a nice clean probably with fine emery paper, finished off with thinners to clean any residue, and wipe both sensor and rotor. If you know someone who’s familiar with an oscilloscope and ECU system can double check if the fault is somewhere else in the electronics. Sensors are normally robust and keep working for a long time if well maintained. Hope this helps.

3. Suzette

Suzette Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Elise, Copen, VRS, GT6
    Having looked at the workshop diagrams you can see that the sensors are the simple 2 wire VR type, not the hall sensor type. These are generally very reliable, you need to find a competent auto electrician who can actually test the continuity to the ABS ecu. However it is likely to be a dirty trigger ring, misalignment or wiring fault. If it is a faulty sensor it's easy to test and I suspect one from another car could be made to fit by someone with a bit of 'can do' .

4. Ali Hughes

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    That's brilliant advice thank you very much - I'll follow it up!

5. Ali Hughes

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi Suzette, Thank you for the great advice - it's really helpful!