1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CopenDriver, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CopenDriver

CopenDriver Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    I am looking at purchasing a Copen 13.l in a few days. If all goods well....

Is there any common issues with the vehicle that I should know? So when I see the vehicle I know what to look for when I take it for a test drive. :)

Do you know where I can download an English owner and/or service manual for the car? I have managed to download a marketing brochure, but there are no dimensions for the vehicle? Does anyone have the technical specifications? Car dimensions, etc???

Are there any English car test drive videos?

Thanks a million for all the help! :)

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Here are common problems (it is for the 659cc but some are applicable to the 1.3l)
    Daihatsu Copen Buyers Guide

For the owners manual and repair guides go to the resources page on this website. You must have had this account for about 7 days before you can download them.
    Resources | Copenworld

Here are some reviews:

<-- Review of the 1.3L

<-- This one is in Japanese but there are subtitles available by pressing the subtitles button on the youtube player. Reviews the 659cc but most points are applicable to 1.3L as with most reviews with regards to the rest of the car excluding the engine.

Videos of Copen's - YouTube <-- This is a playlist I made that has all of my favourite Copen videos.

Car Reviews: Daihatsu Copen Copen - The AA <-- Written review of 659cc Copen.

2004 Daihatsu Copen review | Car Reviews | by Car Enthusiast <-- Written review of 659cc Copen.

Just about Copen | Car Reviews | by Car Enthusiast <-- Written review of 1.3L Copen.

For the love of good fun <-- Written review of 659cc Copen.

3. CopenDriver

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you so much Afron1 for the information!

I test drove the little car yesterday and I have fallen in LOVE! So hopefully soon she will be parked in my driveway!

Have a great day further!

AFR0N1 likes this.
  4. CopenDriver

Car(s):
    Copen
    Good day,

We purchased the 2007 Copen with 120 000km on the clock last weekend and have been spending a little time with the car to see what all needs to be repaired. The overall condition of the car is very good, you can see the previous owner relied on service centers to maintain the vehicle. I must admit that I am deeply disappointment with the workmanship of service centers in South Africa. I have found so many faults that are just pure neglect.

A clutch was done on the car about a year ago at 83000km, I found this strange. I normally drive my cars over 150 000km before I need to consider replacing the clutch. I am not soft on a car either, so my first question is this normal for the Copen`s clutch to need replacement on a car that is so light?

The other major fault that has me a bit stumped and I suspect SA crappy workmanship, the clutch cable connection by the clutch pedal is not correct from how I would understand it should work. The link on the end of the cable seems to long for were the arm on the pedal must engage it. In other words, the pedal moves freely with no cable engagement for more that half its travel then only near the bottom about 40mm from the fire wall the clutch only gets activated by the cable. I studied the manuals I downloaded from this site, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT!!! and what I saw in the manual versus the car is very different. Is this normal or is it incorrect as I suspect?

I have also found that the light behind the Rev counter is not working to illuminate the Rev counter at night, as well as the center console the rotary dials for the fan, temperature and vent selection does not light up either. I suspect it is only the light bulbs. The rear fog light switch also does not light up when the front fog light and rear demisted switches do.
    Any tips or warnings on changing the lights in the instrument cluster and center console?

Advise and suggestion are always welcomed as I am very passionate about cars, especially cars that I feel was made to be unique but to the best standard the manufacture could without costing the buyer a fortune.

Kind regards

5. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I guess somebody who is bad at operating a clutch could ruin it in 83000km, I have 90000 on the clock and my clutch still seems to be OK. I would also say 150000km can be done if you take good care of the clutch.

If you want to adjust the clutch, watch the following video. Its for Honda, but the mechanism is 99% identical. You will find the adjuster underneath the air box in the engine bay.

Changing the lights in the center console is easy, just push out the clip that holds the plastic shielding from the glove box, then you can pry it out with your fingers. Caution: There are red rubber caps on the bulbs, do not lose them!

I have not yet had to change them in the dashboard.

By the way: Have they started to expel the white farmers in SA yet?

6. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    bulbs fan, temperature and vent selection

not so easy

but with youtube find.

remove radio then you can check a cable goes to the 2 or 3 mini bulbs , can be buy cheep ebay.

7. CopenDriver

Car(s):
    Copen
    Good day,

Thank you for the advise, will use it when I do the repairs. I saw in on of the other forums that the bracket above the clutch pedal can deform due to the fact that it is made of thin metal. I will have a look at that as well. Drove the car last night, I am really impressed with the little car, so much fun. It is my wife`s car actually but I still get to drive it. I have a lot of little thing that I want to fix on it as I really cannot handle owning a car that is not in perfect working order.

As for the land expropriation and expelling white warmers, I am not sure what the media on your side shows but I always find it so sad how sensationalism is always more important than fact. The one thing people don`t realize about South Africa is that our current government is so corrupt but also not very intelligent. The best they can do is make a big noise over something that will gain them attention so they can feel important. The majority in South Africa is more image and status aware that intellectual or forward thinking. They only live for today and what they can take today. But they have a vital flew, implementation and enforcement. They can put on a show, make the right noises but it always ends the same, nothing gets done. So yes they will try to expel a few farmers, the other farmers will just stop there operations and leave the farms. The majority will take the land, loot it, let it go to ruin. Then a few months later there will be a desperate plea for farmers as the price of food is to high because none of the farms are producing any crop because they are lazy and want every thing handed to them. This is going to be one of those events that will make news around the world then just die.

Please don`t misunderstand me, I love South Africa, it is a beautiful country with massive potential. Our biggest problem is having uneducated people as a majority and a government that wants to keep it like that because "dumb" people are easier to manipulate and control. This is not going to last forever as to many people are starting to see them for what they are and this is making them nervous and to do these harsh decisions to try to stay in power. Their days are numbered and they know it. African polities are all the same, just look at the rest of Africa. The only differance here is that there are too many people that love this country and will not just give it away to people that don`t accidentally deserve it.

All I can say is watch the news and media if you are interested but don`t believe it as fact.

Thank again for the information.
    Kind regards

8. Salieri

Car(s):
    Thank you for your view of the situation. Official media in Germany gives a kind of balanced view of the situation. They show black people claiming "white men stole our land, the white man is keeping us down, we want our own farms" and white farmers saying they bought the land in the 19th century from the swazi king, and the goverments plan probably will not work, as running a farm is hard work and the people claiming the land have no experience in large industry-scale farming.

I am of the same opinion as you, it will probably end the same way as Zimbabwe, with Mugabe first expelling white farmers, then crashing into a big famine and then begging them to come back.

I have not heard of any issues with the clutch pedal assembly going bad in almost 7 years of owning this car and being active on the forums.
    There is an adjuster screw on the pedal, you can find the clutch pedal free travel range (I think its about 30mm free travel before you get a resistance) and instructions on how to adjust it in the workshop manual which is available in the resources section.

9. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    The clutch is more of a switch rather than a progressive feel. Fabulous when you get used to it though.

10. Salieri

Car(s):
    That is because its cable operated and not via hydraulics (which just makes the clutch soft and unresponsive)

11. CopenDriver

Car(s):
    Copen
    Good day all,

So I got a few things fixed on the car, all dash and center console working. Fitted new clamps on the inner CV boots. All head lights and fog lights a working to spec. Must say, not a bad little car to work on just amazing how compact they got everything to fit. I saw the metal bracket above the clutch pedal is broken and this will be a royal pain to repair but will get it done. Did a service on the engine and could find most of the parts but nobody not even Daihatsu SA has a air filter so I am making a alternative plan. Found a K&N filter that could fit in the standard air box. Should hopefully get it soon, had to import from Australia. Thanks for all the advise and will post again soon.

12. Salieri

Car(s):
    I am pretty sure there is no 100% fit k&n filter for the 1.3l model. Very interested to see what you get.

The correct filters are
    HERTH+BUSS JAKOPARTS J1326029
    or
    BLUE PRINT ADD62228

Maybe there is a shop that ships to SA.

Honorable mentions:

DAIHATSU 17801-B2060
    JAPANPARTS FA-617S
    ASHIKA 20-06-617
    JAPKO 20617
    AMC Filter DA-7607
    MULLER FILTER PA3437

13. CopenDriver

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you Salieri for the air filter information, I have looked here in SA but only the local dealers can get the filter with a lead time of 3-4 weeks. Not to mention the price. I will see if my idea with the K&N filter will work, if it does I will give some feedback. What I would like to show is the real reason we bought the Copen, my wife has her own business in which she makes edge lit night lights. We bought the car because she loves the car but also because we thought it will be the perfect marketing tool for her business as well. The Copen`s do draw attention where ever she drives it so why not use it. It is a small cute car and she makes small cute night lights. So we made a edge lit light for the Copen and it came out very well. As the panel in mainly clear it does not obstruct rear view visibility to much but when the car parked and she switches it on it is very eye catching. I have attached some photo`s. Let me know what you think.
    Branded 01.jpg
    Branded 02.jpg
    Branded 03.jpg

AFR0N1 and Jam like this.
  14. Ludwig

Ludwig Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Xplay 2021

15. Ludwig

Ludwig Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Xplay 2021
    I've ordered an Xplay, it should arrive in December. I've been reading this site for a few days looking for problems and the main one seems to be roof noise.
    The solutions seem to be adjustments of the latches and keeping the seals flexible with some sort of spray, eg silicone.
    There are plenty of posts on these problems... potential problems in my case. Good luck searching...