1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Filter ?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by BarnsleyRob, Jun 5, 2017.

1. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I haven't seen any reference to an inline fuel filter on either engine type (mine happens to be the 1300cc). Is one fitted as standard and, if not, has anyone bothered to fit one as a precautionary measure ?

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    There is no fuel filter, only a "sock" that sits in the tank and prevents the pump from sucking in debris.
    Fuel in Germany has a high quality, so I am not really worried

3. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    There will be a high pressure fuel filter somewhere but they are normally designed to last the life of the vehicle so shouldn't need replacement.
    Unless you had a really bad batch of fuel I'd not worry about it.

4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Thanks guys. I guess I'm used to my diesels, all of which have an inline filter to grab the crap. I have a distant memory that my Toyota Starlet had one too but that was in the 80s.

I generally fill up at 1/4 tank to prevent the crud getting anywhere near the engine but I'm guessing modern injectors are less tolerant than the good old SU carbs !

5. Salieri

Car(s):
    Lets be honest: It would be super nice if the copen had a removable fuel filter you can get to easily just for extra protection but apparently it is not necessary. For diesel engines it is a must to have a filter, after 50k miles they are black as the night :D

6. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Are we sure there's no fuel filter? I am concerned because the engine (660) has started cutting out for a fraction of a second only when under hard acceleration. I am hard put to come up with an explanation for this, but it seems very consistent with a clogged fuel filter. I have to solve this, because it's very disconcerting. And might be dangerous in some situations.

7. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    Hi freddz.. change the spark plugs...;)

freddyzdead likes this.
  8. freddyzdead

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    @welz Well, thank you for that. It didn't occur to me. I was going to change the plugs at 100,000km anyway; it's got 98,000 on it now. My late mechanic friend told me they were rated to last 100,000.

9. Salieri

Car(s):
    Sorry about your loss
    There is definitely no separate fuel filter
    And spark plugs are not specified for 100000km, probably not even the iridium ones.

10. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    It's the top end, but ours are!

NGK Laser Iridium plugs have iridium center and a Platinum ground electrodes. If installed in a regular engine, they would likely last longer than most people keep their car (barring any motor problems that can cause premature plug death). All Laser Iridium plugs are an OEM design, made for a specific engine. Some feature a special resistor or electrode design, depending on the OE requirements. In their OE application, NGK's Laser Iridium plugs typically last 80-100k miles.

11. Salieri

Car(s):
    Good to know, I have the Denso Iridium plugs, never have to change them for the next 10 years :D
    But seriously, I think the ceramic gets brittle over time and might break should you try to change them, so I would still change them from time to time, just not as often as regular plugs (or don't change them at all, just to be sure you do not break them :D)

12. Sachinz

Sachinz Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 7.0
    Can anybody tell me how to access the fuel pump? Do I have to take the tank out?

13. freddyzdead

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    @Salieri You won't break them if you use a proper spark plug socket. And the ceramic insulators are fired at far higher temperatures than they'll ever find in an engine. No way they can deteriorate. But the electrodes can.

@Sachinz The fuel pump is in the tank, for sure; I can hear the noise coming from there every time I turn the key. Are you sure you need to access it? I don't know if you have to remove the tank to get to it. Someone here will know. Knock, knock.