Does the boot need to be completely empty to take the roof down?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by clwyds, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. clwyds

clwyds Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2006
    I've tried before to retract the roof when there were a couple of things in the boot (a 5L petrol can and a de-icer spray), and it seemed to stop just before it should've finished. I didn't want to push it further in case I caused damage, so I was just wondering whether anyone knows if you can open the roof with a few things in the boot space or not?

I've had my Copen for 2 months now and so far, previous posts on this forum have given me a lot of tips so thanks in advance :)

2. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    There's a thing that looks a little like a window blind in the boot. If you have it pulled out and secured, the roof will go down correctly - BUT never put anything under that blind or on top of it, because that is the area the roof takes up. This will leave you with a very small area of boot, just enough for a small bag or a couple of pairs of shoes. If you put anything on the blind or under it you run the risk of damaging the roof as it closes.

Put the blind back into its closed position and the roof shouldn't move when you push the buttons. This allows you to fill the boot completely, safe in the knowledge that if you forget, and try to open the roof, it won't do anything.

clwyds likes this.
  3. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    As long as the cover bit sits flat as though there is nothing under it you should be ok, I keep things in front of the cover - by the back of the car - but not underneath it. I know some people do, there have been cases of overloaded boots getting jammed though :sweating:

clwyds likes this.
  4. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

My good lady found that a watermelon was a bit too big ten years ago when she first got hers

clwyds likes this.
  5. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

6. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    This link tells you what to do if your roof does get stuck and why not to put a bag of sand in the boot with the roof down :cry::cry::cry:

Closing roof manually.

clwyds likes this.
  7. clwyds

clwyds Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2006
    Thank you all - I'd thought I could get away with putting (hiding) stuff underneath that cover but now it all makes sense (I wasn't sure where the roof bits went when it retracted). Hopefully there won't be any bags of sand incidents! :worried:

8. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    I thought the point of the cover was that whatever would fit underneath said cover was ok to put in the boot as long as the cover sits dead flat?

9. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    I think you're right, I keep my reusable shopping bags under the cover - no accidents so far

clwyds likes this.
  10. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    There should be nothing over/under the retractable cover. Use the small space that is left on the front

11. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    I've got a wheel brace (held down with magnets), a blanket and a few other things under the "windowshade". As long as what's under there doesn't make it bulge, you should be ok. On the rear side of the divider, you can put whatever you like. I've got a minimal toolkit and a manual tyre pump permanently living there. I've got remote air pressure sensors on all the wheels; in this country it is pretty usual to find that the air dispenser at service stations doesn't work. That's if they even have one. The monitor alarm goes off if there's any more than 3 psi difference between any 2 wheels, so I just use the manual pump to keep them in range.

The forward space where the tonneau cover lives could also be used for storage (carefully). I took the tonneau cover out; I don't think I'll ever use it, it's a real nuisance putting on and taking off, and it puts marks on the roof. You would be cursing in a sudden shower when you couldn't put the roof up until you got out and removed the blinking thing.

clwyds likes this.