Closing roof manually.

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by DaG, Jun 30, 2013.

1. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I need to close my roof manually but looking in the owners manual I can't find the two "hydraulic type hooks" that you hook the two wires around. If anybody can point me to where they are as the diagram in the book looks nothing like reality, I would be very gratefully.
    A quick reply would be even better, preferably before it rains.:)

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    They are in the boot by the jack. Should be stored in the purple bag with the nut bar & jack handle.

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I've found the two wires what I cant find is where to hook them in the boot the manual shws two hooks to loop the wires around but I can't find these.

4. Sardine

Sardine Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen only
    About half way along the roof gear there are two tabs with white circles on them. Almost directly down from them are the hooks. They dont look very hook like but according to my book and my observations these are them. Hope that helps

Sardine.

5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I'll have a look, thanks.

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Yes that was them. I actually noticed them earlier but decided they weren't the hooks.
    One of them was already in the pulled up position which is probably what is causing my problem. Thanks again

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Does this help
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Ah, I was pulling on the wrong hooks.
    Those in the picture seem to be solid, I cant budge them. Also the instructions after the two hooks part are almost gibberish.
    I don't think my roof is fully closed which might be why I'm having trouble. I had something under the blind and I don't think the rear window has gone completely down into the boot. The instructions in the manual are probably for a fully closed roof.

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Ive managed to close the roof, what a relief.
    This is a tale of stupidity and.............well just stupidity really. I bought a bag of sand today from homebase and put it in the boot, under the blind.
    It barely made a bulge and I know there is a decent clearance between the roof and blind when the the roof is in the boot so nothing to worry about, I could open the roof.
    What I hadn't taken into account was the rear window when it drops into the boot it goes very close to the rear of the blind. When I opened the roof the window jammed on my bag of sand so the roof was neither fully open or closed. I drove home with the boot lashed down (thanks for the string homebase :D) and tried the manual opening routine.
    That failed but I then had a Blackadder Baldric type cunning plan. I split the bag of sand down its length and scooped enough of it out be able to pull out the remaining bag and sand. That must have allowed the window to settle and thankfully the roof mechanism then worked normally.
    I need a drink and a lie down, bloody car.
    That's after I've cleaned all the sand out of the boot, bloody homebase.:D

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    You live & learn.

11. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Forgot to add thanks for the help sardine and Adam, the pictures were very useful. I'd started to panic with the looming dark clouds and couldn't think straight. I was hooking the two wires on anything that looked pullable.:eek:
    When I get a minute next wek I'm going to have a practise of the manual opening routine for future reference.
    I would advise anybody to be very careful about opening the roof with anything in the boot. The blind isn't fail safe.

12. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    So it distorted the roof mechanism which prevented it coming back up?

Next time, put the wife in the boot and sand in the passenger seat. That way if the roof gets stuck she can push it back up!

copenforbusiness likes this.
  13. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    The bag of sand stopped the rear window from going all the way into the boot. This stopped the roof from going fully into the boot. I don't know why when I tried to reverse this and bring the roof back up nothing happened.
    The two tabs with white circles on that sardine mentioned I think were the problem. It's hard to explain but one tab was raised up while the other one was pushed down. I removed the sand, reset both tabs in the down position and the roof worked normally again.
    Next time I'll try your wife idea, you always come up with gooduns.:D
    Or better still use her car, it's massive.

14. Janusbell

Janusbell Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Wow! Great post! Seems to me that if I put anything in the boot my roof better stay up…

15. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Yep!