1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch cable replacement

Discussion in 'Dealers and Suppliers' started by Phlipflop, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Phlipflop

Phlipflop Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Can anyone suggest where I can get a new clutch cable fitted and any idea of the typical cost ? BTW I am in NW UK

2. mcp

mcp Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3, Fiesta ST3
    The cable itself is around £80 (OEM part). I don't think the genuine part is more expensive but may need to come from Japan and some garages insist on using genuine parts. Fitting should be a couple of hours labour so total would depend on hourly rate of garage (say £60 per hour). A branch of Mr Clutch did mine and were fine.

Depending on mileage you may find that the clutch is also pretty worn and needs doing too.

Phlipflop likes this.
  3. Phlipflop

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks mcp for the quick reply, I thought the time would be longer since it appears the dash has to come out to get at the cable
    Although a 2007 model it has only done 32K so hopefully the clutch is still OK.
    Which Mr clutch branch did you use?

4. mcp

mcp Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3, Fiesta ST3
    I thought it was a dash out job too, which is why i didn't do it. The invoice says 1. 7 hours labour though. I think i saw a thread on here saying you could manage without removing too much trim.

It was at the Sheffield branch (so not much use if you're NW based) . I bought the car in Wakefield knowing the job needed doing (plus a bit of rust sorting and waxoyling) and nursed it over to nearby sheffield where i have family and a friend of a friend who is good with boywork.

Mine has 80000 on the clock so needing the clutch too seems reasonable .

5. Phlipflop

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Not sure I can make it to Sheffield, the problem now is no one seems to have a cable available, lots of people offering left hand drive only versions though.

6. mcp

mcp Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3, Fiesta ST3
    I think others on the forum have fitted the left hand drive ones and said there is no difference between the 2:

Clutch Cable replacement. What a pig of a job!

I did get quotes for mechanics that were willing to do the job on the drive via a quotes website so likley not difficult just fiddly. Apologies I can't remember the name and I deleted the emails some time ago.