British Copen owner in Thailand

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tyke, Feb 26, 2016.

1. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen imported to Thailand from Japan
    Greetings all.

I'm a Brit retired in Thailand.

Yesterday I took delivery of my silver 2004 Copen which was imported from Japan to Thailand in 2004.

Only one owner and 22,xxx km's on the clock.

The problem with owning a Jap car in Thailand is that import duty and taxes are around 200% of the value of the car. For example a new Copen in Thailand is 1.6 million Baht which is around GBP 32k, USD 45k and 40k Euros. Frightening !

Mine has been well looked after with a small dent in the drivers door and a small blister on the boot, otherwise pretty clean. It is the 660 cc Turbo model.

I think it's pretty much original apart from a key fob lock/alarm and I was told the speakers in the front pillars are added extras but someone may be able to confirm whether they are standard or not as I don't have an owners handbook, but I will look online for one.

I know nothing about them so I may be asking you experienced folk some dumb questions so please bear with me.

Oh, and the front side light is cracked but he supplied me with a replacement, I just need to find out how to fit it. Any advice welcomed. 20160225_155758.jpg 20160225_155758.jpg 20160225_155817.jpg 20160225_155834.jpg IMG_6339.JPG IMG_6341.JPG

copenworld, CA49000 and Your Majesty like this.
  2. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Ooops, just been out in the dark for the first time and it is my fog light that needs replacing, not my sidelight. Any hints anyone ?

3. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Welcome to Copenworld, there is lots of information on here and you will be able to download the owners manual after a few posts. You will also find lots of ideas to personalise your car :)

Your Copen looks great and you have the tonneau cover which was an expensive optional extra on some copens:D

Enjoy your new toy!

tyke likes this.
  4. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Replacing bulbs on a Copen isn't the easiest job unfortunately. The best way is to remove the plastic cover under the wheel arch and try to turn the wheel and reach into the light cluster that way, otherwise you have to remove the bumper :(
    Sorry.

CA49000 likes this.
  5. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Thank you Clare.

Actually one benefit of Thailand is that labour is soooo cheap so when I take it for a service, due in 3,000 kms, or the annual inspection in November I will have them fit it for me.

As for the tonneau cover, when I went to see the car it was in it's cover clipped under the rear of the boot. I asked the seller what it was (it was his older bro's car originally), and he replied I don't know, maybe tools or car jack ? I never looked at it myself until I had the car delivered on Thursday and was nicely surprised as it's brand new and doesn't look as though it has been used! It does look nice when fitted but a bit of a pain to open the boot, unclip it, lower the roof then clip it on.

BTW, what can be stored in the boot and where with the roof down ? Anything ? As I live in a hot country, even at night, the roof will nearly always be down.

6. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I have the tonneau cover too and being in the UK don't use it very often because there is always a chance it will rain and you are having to quickly remove it and put it away at the side of the road :mad: although I do still use it on longer journeys in the summer.

There is a bit of space left inside the boot with the roof down. I've fitted enough in there for a weekend away for two before! You'll be surprised what you can fit behind the seats too. Don't be tempted to put anything too large under the blind that protects the roof though, lots of people have ended up with the roof jammed because of this so I never risk putting things there:emo:.

7. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Thank You all. :clap:

8. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi tyke,

welcome and congrats to your ride.
    :)
    Just a hint:
    The tonneau cover is properly installed under the boot lid, not sitting on top of it.
    You could end up with some nasty scratches on the boot lid or even worse, the tonneau cover could fall off entirely.

Andreas

9. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Thanks Andreas,

So in the pics above my cover is not fitted correctly ?

I will have a proper look next time I open the roof or do you have a photo of how it should look?

10. scooty

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    You may like to take a look at the owner's manual, page 2-19 onward describes the installation of the tonneau cover.
    And here's a pic (from coxsie):

[​IMG]

Andreas

Attached Files:

11. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    OK, I see, thanks. I don't have an owners manual. I will look to download one next week.

12. scooty

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
  13. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Thanks again Andreas, but I can't download it yet, I have to wait a few more days to qualify to download it.

14. scooty

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding, thought you were still searching....
    ;)

15. Kasemson

Kasemson Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen japan verison
    Hello everyone,i m new member here. I would like to have owner manual of my copen, too. Please help me.

16. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Welcome, after one week and some meaningful posts you can download the manual from below.

Resources | Copenworld

17. Kasemson

Kasemson Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen japan verison
    Thanks, Bemused for link. But i m still unable to download from the link even i m already been a member for 1 week. What s wrong.... :(

18. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    It might be that you hadn't made enough posts, try again now, if you still have no luck send a message to Copenworld and he will be able to help you.

19. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Here is a link to his profile to help you contact him

copenworld

20. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    You need to go the resources page to download the manuals, and make sure you're logged in.

If you meet the criteria for downloading, you'll see this message at the top of the page:

resource.jpg

If you're not yet eligible, you'll see this message:

no.jpg

If you can see the first message but can't download, you'll need to post more information about what happens when you try to download:
    • What browser are you using?
    • Do you see the "Download Now" button and what happens when you press it?
    • Do you get any error messages?
    • Screen shots to show what you see could be helpful.