1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative Exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by mcp, Nov 6, 2020.

1. mcp

mcp Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3, Fiesta ST3
    I have read somewhere that the 1.3 Copen shares an engine with the 1.3 Yaris of the same age. So any opinons of whether the exhuast manifold form the Yaris might fit?

There are a few knocking around andthey look better than the Copen ones. I have seen the thread on this forum talking about fitting the Sirion exhaust manifold but couldn't find any of those. Would be interested to hear what people think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    APPLEDjerry likes this.
  2. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    I have a 659 turbo Copen but I've had 2 Sirion GTvis & they can toast any Yaris. Ordinary Sirion manifolds connect to a 3cyl engine so you'd have to find a Sirion GTvi. For the record, a bog standard GTvi, weighing about the same, can do a 9.6sec - with no improvements.

As far as I know that's just another flavour of Toyota/Daihatsu's 1.3. Daihatsu took the Yaris 1.3 & their engineers went to work on it, making it a proper "warm" hatch. As such, I think if you can find a manifold from a Sirion GTvi then that would be the best. Caveat: GTvi manifolds are integral to the cat system, due to space, but this might be a good thing.

However, unless you can put it on a hoist & do the work yourself, swapping manifolds on a Copen is a very expensive way to make a small improvement.
    My exhaust guys said don't bother trying to swap manifolds on my GTvis, as it's really hard to do & makes bugger all difference. It'd be much better to find a GTvi at the wreckers with a good engine, just do a straight swap, then sell your engine to some Yaris bloke.

For now I'd definitely get rid of the OEM air intake & replace it with a direct cone filter, then go a straight through 2"exhaust. You aren't going to make a 1.3 Copen into a Golf GTi no matter how hard you try. I've had to give up on that with my 'normal' Copen, but I can at least match a standard 2.0 Golf now so I'm happy. Hope this helps, Brian.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  3. Brian S

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  4. mcp

mcp Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3, Fiesta ST3
    Thanks for the info Brian. Much appreciated.

Brian S likes this.
  5. Brian S

Car(s):
    To counter the front heavy 1.3 Copen's tendency to plow on in corners, which I'm assuming is similar to the same weight GTvis, I'd put some bags of sand in it. Don't exactly how much, bit I used to stuff 25-30kg of sand around the spare tyre on my GTvis.
    It really fixed the nose heavy problem & made it much more responsive to steering inputs in corners & roundabouts.
    A very cheap fix to experiment with, even if you don't notice an issue. You would, I'd expect, notice a positive difference. Anyway, let me know how your plans work out. B