1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1300cc Copen Induction Kit

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by The Technician, May 4, 2020.

  1. The Technician

    The Technician Copenworld Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2020
    Location:
    Birmingham
    Car(s):
    Copen 1.3, Alto 1.1
    Hello everyone.

    I've made an induction kit for my 1.3l Copen. Unfortunately, no such kit exists on the market as far as I am aware, so I've had to make my own. The positioning of the air box is unfortunate (right in front of the radiator) but it does leave enough room for a higher performance filter to be fitted. Here is the result:

    [​IMG]

    1) Getting the equipment. Whatever you're putting on it needs to have a 57mm internal diameter, to fit securely over the air intake. For this, I've used a 90 degree silicone angle hose that's 57mm ID on one end and 63mm ID on the other. It's about £10 on ebay. This fits over the intake fairly easily. The filter is a Proram with a 63mm ID (about £35-40), but I suppose a K and N or any similar filter would do provided it fits. These are joined together with a 2 1/2 inch diameter aluminium tube section, 1.6mm thick and 60mm long (£5 ebay).

    2) Removing the air box and duct was fairly easy. The only thing than needs to be removed is the retaining bolt (on the engine) and the spring clip on the hose. There's also a plastic peg but it's not secured and the whole thing should just lift off after that.

    3) The temperature sensor that fits in the airbox needs to be removed and inserted into the 90 degree angle pipe. It's slightly tapered, about 12.5mm at one end and about 12mm at the other. I drilled a 12.5mm hole easily and silicone glued a 3.5mm thick rubber washer on each side of the hole. The thickness of the hose was about 4.5mm, so that should give a secure fit. I made sure all the debris was removed from the hose before fitting.

    4) The bracket was a little more difficult. I welded an aluminium section to the middle of the tube and a cross piece with a hole drilled into it so it could be fixed in place with the same bolt as the old air box. The welding wasn't particularly good, but it didn't matter too much, as it's not a structural part. It felt pretty secure after bolting it down.

    Here is a closeup:
    [​IMG]
    I used 6082 aluminium alloy about 3mm thick for the bracket, same alloy as the tube.

    5) The parts were put together and secured using some appropriately sized hose clamps. The Proram filter came fitted with its own.

    The new filter did seem to make a difference to the performance, although I think a duct or a flow plate might be a useful mod to add so it's not sucking in the warm radiator air (and the bracket underneath the filter box that had the plastic peg stuck into it might be a good place to secure it). Having said that, it doesn't seem to make all that much difference, even when driving quickly.
     
  2. The Technician

    The Technician Copenworld Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2020
    Location:
    Birmingham
    Car(s):
    Copen 1.3, Alto 1.1
    1 month on - a few hundred miles covered. Seems to be holding up. I'd call it a success.
     
    Binz likes this.

Share This Page