1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed, please.

Discussion in 'Dealers and Suppliers' started by BrianK, Apr 8, 2016.

1. BrianK

BrianK Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    I am thinking of buying a Copen and would welcome your advice. The manouvre to get a car into my garage is horrendous. That's why my previous car was a Cappuccino. What's the situation re parts, servicing and insurance? I live in Brighton. Should I try for the 1.3 option?

Getting spares for the Cappuccino was a nightmare. Do you experience the same problem with a Copen? Do they start to cost a fortune to keep on the road after say 30,000 miles? I'd rarely use the car, but really fancy a small sports car. I suppose it's all down to me missing my MGB, which I sold about 20 years ago.

Kind regards,
    Brian.

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Hello Brian,
    in Germany we still have the Daihatsu dealers and they can get ANY part for the car. But, as always, this service comes with a price. They are bound to have parts in stock until 2028, so we should be safe.
    It should be similar in the UK. There is a dealer in Worthing, WSX, which should be quite close to Brighton. You could call them and ask about their policies. www.daihatsu.co.uk

However, it's not horribly expensive and most of the service parts such as filters, brakes etc. are fairly cheap in the aftermarket sales.
    Additionaly, there is hardly anything in a Copen that breaks. I have been driving mine for 4 years now and it is still im good shape, without major repairs.

BTW: The 1.3 Liter engine is a lot more robust than the 660cc one

3. BrianK

BrianK Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you for the response. That's very encouraging.

4. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    MY 1.3 has done 100,000+ miles and still going strong (including 60 miles / day commuting before career change last year). Service parts are no problem, e.g. last week mine needed new front discs to pass MOT and the mechanic ordered, received and fitted them that same day. The bits that may take longer are new body parts which would need to be imported from Japan - it took a few weeks to get boot lid and rear panel after I got rear ended a few years ago.

5. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I know from experience that many body parts come directly from Japan, takes a week or two if they are in stock.
    As for service parts such as disk brakes, many are identical to other Daihatsu/Toyota cars, so they are always in stock.