1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YRV turbo engine

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by lex schotel, May 11, 2017.

1. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    Hi I would like put the bigger YRV Turbo engine in my 2003 Copen .
    would this go in without to much hassle ? Or can I expect a whole heap of trouble ?
    Will the original box bolt on the engine ? and will the clutch / Box / drive shafts handle the 129 hp ?.
    for the aussi boys and girls , I have found an importer that is willing to help me , If you want one too let me know
    take care
    Lex

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I do not think the manual transmission can handle the 129hp, they even had problems on the 102hp K3-VE2 Sirion.
    Thats why the YRV Gtti has an automatic transmission :D
    I would be interested to know whether it fits, on the 1.3 the engine bay is quite full already, idk where the turbo is supposed to go :D

3. jcuyckens

jcuyckens Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Volvo XC60 2015
    Toyota Corolla 2004
    Rover 45 V6 2005
    Daihatso Copen 2006
    BMW R850RT & R850R
    Yamaha GTS1000 1993
    I am wondering how to fix the ECU, since it also controls the roof and other "copen" specific systems?

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    It does? So how do all the other engine swaps work? :D
    It must be possible, but I bet its hard :(

5. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    How well the gearbox handles the power depends on the driver. A little bit of mechanical sympathy can go a long way. The auto handles more power because it's harder to abuse.

Isn't the roof ECU seperate in the boot?

6. lex schotel

Car(s):
    ok ... I am the first one to do it ??
    what is the difference in the 1300 and the 660 ? wider ? higher ? is the bolt pattern of the auto different ?
    I normally play with big V8 or racing outboards ..... so still getting used to the Copen secrets ....

who can confirm if the computer runs the copen roof ?

7. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    The roof ECU is separate, several engine conversions have been done that I've seen, the simplest is apparently the bored out, upgraded JC-DET version of the same engine from the Stirion X4 but that's rare. There's a Kawasaki-engined Copen I've seen, I've heard there's a Hayabusa version.

The problem is, there isn't a huge amount of space in there! You could remove the air conditioning and with probably a lot of work shift things around to make more space, but fitting anything much bigger than the standard engine is going to need serious Tetris skills, especially since you'd probably also need to upgrade other components.

The Suzuki Cappucino K6A engine is the same CC as the Copen but is still in production and tuning parts probably easier to get, it's currently being used in the Caterham Seven 160 with 80bhp but I've read of Cappucino's making 200bhp. It's also in the Alto, so probably reasonably easy to get hold of.

8. marnob

marnob Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    The ECU that controls the boot, roof and quarter windows is in the boot.
    It can get water and dampness from a boot not sealing properly. I spray CRC regularly around it, on it to keep the moisture away.
    When I first bought my car the boot didn't close and roof wouldn't go down.
    Easy fix in the end but it was a risky buy as it can cost a lot of money to sort out..

9. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Expensive alternative to get more power? How much? Will it fit?
    Have you done all the mods for intake and outlet that help this little car breathe better?
    With a bigger Turbo comes a hole heap of other things you need to consider?
    Yes Vin, they fit the Storia X4 engines in Japan as they qualify for the 1Litre class. They come with a different Turbo, IHI RHF4.
    They get 120bhp standard. With some adjustment to the boost you can go a lot more.
    Up over 100hp you will have traction problems.
    LSD? More expense. :)

10. lex schotel

Car(s):
    Just bought a new race boat hull , so might focus on that again , will keep the copen standard for now ......

11. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Nah, you can trick it up quite easily for minimal cost.
    Playing with the intake on its own will amaze you with the difference.
    I have a thread on here regarding the Intercooler and standard aircleaner.:)

12. lex schotel

Car(s):
    can you tell me what to do to make the standerd engine faster please

13. Salieri

Car(s):
    Given that you are in Australia, why not pay Haltech a visit?
    Engine ECU upgrade combined with a bigger diameter exhaust and modified intake might give you 90-100hp, so I heard :D

14. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Enclosed aftermarket induction kit, de-cat or sports cat, stainless steel exhaust (2", 3" would be too big and lose scavenger effect), ECU remap - (I believe the Dsport ECU works with aussie copens since they're same spec as the japs, or I've read on here a guy in Brisbane had his Unichipped which sounds like it's better - Unichip on Aussie Copen ), bigger turbo (not too big or lag imo, Welz has a HKS but it's a bit expensive!).

That's probably the limit of what a Copen can handle without beefing up the suspension, maybe even lsd.

15. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    take care with that, not easy to drive with up 100Hp with this little car. Maybe better buy a second other.

:wasntme: HKS - DX SPORTS TURBINE KIT

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  16. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    hold in mind.careful
    If you change to hks loader keep in the back you get also problems with the cooling. With me are already 2 times the cooling hose burst. Luck, then the engine goes out. Goes over 100 degrees and you need 5 w 40. Others eats oil and petrol 10 liter

not easy to drive without lsd..

:think:take care with that

17. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Les, keep it simple, really..its just for street right?
    The standard Turbo is fine.
    List
    1. Air-filter / filter box
    2. BOV (blow off valve)
    3. Turbo modifications
    4. Exhaust system
    *Change or modify ( as I did) the intake.
    Results: sucking air noise and a cool cough when you button off or change gears as it pulls air in. Feel power increase.
    *Change the downpipe. 2" downpipe is big enough. Any bigger and you have problems with the flange connected to the Turbo. Two inch will weld perfectly onto the standard flange. Remove the large muffler, running straight pipe to the next smaller one. Keep the rest standard as there is no advantage to change.
    Results: gives it a nice growl, not to loud and slight back popping on deceleration, 1st and 2nd gears. Feel power increase.
    Can always fit a small resonator if ya want to quieten it down a bit.
    *Intercooler & piping. Change for D-sport or after market piping. That alone made a difference.
    Results: clear sucking as the air passes through. Looks cool. Power increase again.
    *Swapping the Intercooler for an Alloy one is a bit more involved but you can do it without removing the front as I did.
    Results: Engine cooling fan doesn't cut in as much. Sucking air. Power increase.
    None of these Mods will cause a fuel cut or anything like that.
    Next level to do list:
    *Dump Valve. Standard one is crap. Probably why Japanese put a BOV on it. Small Turbos spool very quick so a decent Valve makes a huge difference. Personal choice there.
    *ECU upgrade. Other than D-Sport there is nothing around unless you spend big dollars like the Unichip. I have searched everywhere but no one can chip the standard ECU here in Aust. You can get it done in Japan but that means sending yours there. 35,000yen.
    It allows you to increase boost and adjusts fuel/air etc above standard ECU. Still thinking?
    *Electronic boost Controller. Original boost pressure regulator is rubbish. Would pair nicely with D-Sport ECU allowing to tune the boost accurately. Personal choice again as you could use a manual one with boost gauge.
    I did all of the top ones at different times and every one made a difference I could feel.
    The only one I got someone to do was the exhaust.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  18. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
  19. lex schotel

Car(s):
    I had one of NOS kits in my jet sprint boat :) 502 chev with NOS !!