1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrap it up

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by bluehawaii90, Aug 18, 2016.

1. bluehawaii90

bluehawaii90 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen, Mini Cooper SD
    Afternoon all,

Ive just ordered a few rolls of black gloss wrap ready for the bank holiday weekend. As far as i can see the whole wrapping process is fairly easy but i was wondering if anyone has had issues, found any really tricky spots etc while doing theirs?

Thanks
    Lauren

2. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    A tip is to pre stretch in obtuse areas like a wing mirror, then heat up and alow to shrink back else you'll have the edges lifting as soon as it's a hot day if you go gung ho and keep stretching.
    Some materials are extremely difficult to wrap with whilst others (3M NI -DOC) are easy.
    You need exceedingly good trims on the edges to avoid it looking a pigs ear, and edge sealer.

3. bluehawaii90

Car(s):
    Copen, Mini Cooper SD

Im tempted to spray the inside of the mirror caps because they do look a complete nightmare to do. My only real concern is the roof because of the split at the back. Oh and the parking sensors.

4. Matt

Matt Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Lauren,

If you do tackle the mirrors take some pics and let me know how you get on as I've just bought some carbon wrap with the intention of trying to do my mirrors also. :)

5. bluehawaii90

Car(s):
    Copen, Mini Cooper SD
    Its got to be tried hasnt it? Ive been looking to change the colour for ages and i hadnt heard of being able to sticky back plastic your car! It was only when i started seeing these silver mirrored cars that i thought about it. So far materials have cost about £120 but if the finished product looks good then ive saved £2k on a respray!

Ive been trying to get hold of replacement mirror units but ebay only ever have 1 drivers side! I'll let you know how i get on!

6. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    What about plasti-dip for the mirrors?

7. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    You'd probably have a decent enough finish if you take the mirror housing off and plastidip them that way. Just be sure to clean and dry everything thoroughly - made that mistake when I plastidipped my wheels

8. bluehawaii90

Car(s):
    Copen, Mini Cooper SD
    I dont particularly like the plasti dip finish, it Always looks, well...plastic like! Reminds me of the plastic soldiers from toy story! Haha
    I figure with the reat of the car going from silver to black gloss, the mirrors need to be black gloss or something that matches (silver or red i reckon).

The vinyl turned up Friday so next Saturday cant come sooner! :)