won't start!! help please

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by deejay, Jan 13, 2014.

1. deejay

deejay Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen vivid
    Sunday car starts had to move a couple of yard to change the front wheel.
    Changed wheel
    Monday morning get in car to go work and the car won't start, turns over but won't fire or run tried for a while. put battery on charge tried again when charged turns over but wont run----any ideas.
    I,m not familiar with cars that have EFI etc dont know if any petrol is getting through. How do you check , just don't understand it

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    How cold was it when you tried turning over the car? I doubt there is ice in the fuel lines.

Can you hear the whine of the fuel pump kicking in, when you turn the car to "ON" (but not start)?

3. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Sound like you have flooded the engine. This can happen if the engine is cold and you only run it for a few seconds. Next time, it won't fire. I know, I've done it! :eek:

You have a couple of options.
    1) take the spark plugs out and give them a dry (best method).
    2) charge the battery overnight, put the accelerator to the floor THEN turn over the engine. Keep the pedal down, do not pump it. It may take 30 seconds before the engine starts to fire, then ease off the gas as it starts to catch.

NOTE. I have only tried 2) on the 1300 engine and it worked. Also contrary to popular believe, it does not ruin the CAT as long as you take it for a long run straight away and get the exhaust nice and hot.

Rex.

4. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Same also happened to a few owners of a 660cc Copen in Germany.
    Remediation as recommended by Rex.

Andreas

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I didn't think it was possible to flood an engine that uses EFI!

6. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Well, my personal experience says it is!

Rex.

7. Jayvee

Jayvee Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7L
    We have the same (to the point it was a Sunday and a Monday) problem. Winter nights means it will have to wait till weekend but will try Rex suggestions and let you know.

8. Jayvee

Jayvee Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7L
    UPDATE:
    Pulled spark plugs let the car "breath" for a while. Put back plugs car wouldn't start - Problem resolved when realised car had been tried off an on during the week and battery was not at its best. Took car for 20 minute drive, been fine ever since.

9. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    I flooded my engine yesterday. It's very easy to do. My mistake was driving the car from my garage to give it a clean, then driving in back in again just two hours later earlier in the week. The next time I went to start the engine, yesterday, it just wouldn't start.

The 'flooring the pedal to the floor and letting the starter run on for a few seconds' worked in the end.

I should have known - my old Micra does the same thing.