Winter Tyres for my Copen

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Sherbert, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Sherbert

Sherbert Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Bright Yellow Copen
    Hi, I have managed to buy a spare set of rims but would like to fit some winter tyres. I commute in my beautiful Copen and do 60 miles a day on the motorway. When I asked the guys for winter tyres, they laughted and suggested I put the car away until the spring! Are they mad?

Anybody fitted winter tyres and able to offer advice?

2. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi Sherbert,

165/50R15 Bridgestone Blizzak MZ 03
    165/50R15 Federal Formoza FD1
    165/55R15 Bridgestone Blizzak MZ 03
    175/50R15 Kumho KW23

will fit on the standard rim (4,5x15).

Maybe you stumble across 175/50R15 Hankook Icebear W 300 which unfortunately is not certified by the manufacturer on the Copen standard rims.

Good luck sourcing any of the above tyres,

Andreas

3. Sherbert

Car(s):
    Bright Yellow Copen
    Many thanks - I'll be trying to source 4 of these so I can carry on enjoying my car all winter. I've got a hat, some gloves and plenty of smiles and winter tyres will help

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Has anybody driven a Copen on icy or snow covered roads? I intend to use mine through the winter and was wondering how the car handles on the normal Potenza tyres.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I've driven through two winters now. On treated roads I had no issues. The only problem I had was on the works snow covered car park. I needed a push to get in a parking space. Partly an issue with ground clearance in deep snow.
    I've bought a pair of Autosocks now. Keep them in the boot just in case. Never needed to put them on yet.

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    That's what I'm worried about, ground Clearence. Ah well, if it snows I'll just pinch the wifes MPV.:D

7. Sherbert

Car(s):
    Bright Yellow Copen
    I've now fitted the winter tyres and have been driving on them for a couple of weeks.

I found the Bridgestone Blizzaks online through www.mytyres.co.uk and they arrived from Germany in two days. Fitted in the local tyre fitters and onto Sherbert.

Great and very pleased. No difference noticed in road noise and no problems. I have found that I need to run them slightly softer than I run the summer Bridgestone version by about 4 psi.

Bring on the bad weather. We are ready!