Windows Stuck Open (and other issues)!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by KTM, Jan 8, 2014.

1. KTM

KTM Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    I own a 2 door Daihatsu Copen Coupe (0.7)
    With all this rain recently I had a nice pool of water collect in my Copen boot in which the roof controller was siting. [I note other discussions on leaks and roof mechanisms]

Having cleared enough room in our garage to park the car out of the rain, the boot was dried out. The windows were wound down and the boot left open to hopefully clear the condensation. In moving the car I noted that the roof warning light remained on - it did also beep at me but that has now stopped.

I removed the negative terminal from the battery, disconnected the roof controller, and took it into the house to hopefully dry out in the warmth.

On reconnecting everything a couple of days later, the roof warning light is still glaring at me and I can’t get the windows to go back up! The roof control button is still not working. The boot closure is working fine.

Any bright ideas on what I can try to get the windows back up? I can tolerate the roof light glaring at me for a short while, but really need to get my windows closed!

Or, am I just going to have to book the car in to my local garage to sort this. Thanks.

Kim

2. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    try operating the window switch and holding it in up position for at least 3-5seconds, then release and quickly try again.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Kim, Welcome to Copenworld.
    Leaving the boot open will drain the battery. I'd recommend getting the Battery checked or charged up.
    A weak battery has been known to cause random issues with the roof system.
    Do you know when the Battery was last changed?

4. KTM

KTM Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Thanks for the welcome and prompt tips.

I don't recall when the battery was last charged, so probably not recently. The warning re. draining it is noted! Thanks. Car starts up fine. I'll see what I do about charging the battery and give ' dunf's ' suggestion a try re. the windows when I get home from work this evening.

Kim

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. Klausanta

Klausanta Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    Hi KTM

Have you looked at my recent post?

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=2092

I think the ECU is a pretty rock solid bit of kit after what I have experienced previously and I personally don't think this is your problem.

With my recent red light and bleeping episode, I left our boot gaffer taped partly open for over 1 day and the battery did not go flat. Is there a light in the boot normally Adam?

KS

6. KTM

KTM Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Woohoo! Windows all shut now and red warming light for roof no longer showing. :)

Maybe everything just needed to thoroughly dry. Not pushing my luck right now and the roof can stay closed until it's warm enough to open.... and now we've cleared space in the garage again my car can be snug there through the winter.

Kim

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    From what i've read from our resident electronics wiz Rex, I believe the locking mechanism is drawing power waiting for the boot to be closed so it can tighten down. Something like that.
    Is that right Rex?

8. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    We'll, that's been my personal experience.
    The small battery we have will not last more than a couple of days with the boot open. :eek:

9. graysonchan

graysonchan Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen
    sorry guys. i am from singapore . i do not know how to create my own post. dont mind sharing your post?

i having problem with my window switch. it cant wind up or down. my roof button is working perfectly ( when activiated , the window will wind down smoothly ) but when i try to use my side window switch , is not working .

i went to a workshop to check whats wrong with it . they suspect that the black box located at the boot that control the window is faulty.

the switch , no power is coming in using the tester pen . when they try to use wire to touch it to create sparks . the window went up. they told me that there is not electricity in the WINDOW COnTROL BOX ( black colour located at our boot )

The other ROOF CONTROL BOX is working fine .

Btw , i just fixed my 9 speaker and 1 amp before 2 days . could it be the speaker and amp that affect my wiring? within the period of 2 days , the window is working fine as well as roof.

i need help :( help help help . Facebook : dino_1210@hotmail.com

10. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I suggest you download the workshop manual from this site. Then look at the electrical section - it shows the wiring to the control box in the boot. Then check the signal from the door switch is getting to the ECU.

Rex.

11. ilain

ilain Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I faced the same problem about the window not winding up a couple of days back. I panicked and wondered if the electronics had some problem. My roof mechanism worked perfectly but the window just died.

It was only after a while of fiddling that I realised I had accidentally pressed the disable window button under the right aircon vent. I felt like a fool for panicking!!

12. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    This kind of button (fortunately?) never made it into European spec Copens.
    ;)

Andreas

13. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    i'm wondering in what circumstances you'd want to disable your windows.

14. histermans

histermans Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    I imagine it's so that a child doesn't throw himself out of the passenger window by chance or choice...?:eek:

15. threepot

threepot Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, Hijet, Celica, and Yaris!
    I suspect you may have damaged some of the wiring in the door or the rubber boot which the door cables have gone through.

Just guessing mind!