Windows stopped working

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian S, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hi everyone,
    My windows decided to stop working.
    I've checked out all the obvious roof sensors. The little red light for open roof is not on but when i open the catches it comes on.
    So I don't think that it's a roof thing.
    Can anyone help me with which fuse does the windows?
    I'm out in the country so i cant really check the workshop manuals and the in car manual basically days "Good luck with that. "
    Thanks , Brian

2. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima

3. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Hi @Brian S , sorry to hear about your windows. Bear with me. Tomorrow I'll let you know which fuse it is. Being both windows at the same time, it's likely to do with the fuse. Worth a shot. :nod:

4. Brian S

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    1. Fuse. This seems easily the most likely. Problem is that with two ECUs it looks like a miniature apartment block's fuse box, There are a lot of those buggers. Also, did the fuse just die or is their a problem causing it? Answer to that is just replace the fuse & worry about that stuff if necessary.
    2. Some sort of mechanical cut/yank to both wires before they separate. Pretty damned unlikely. Just a straw man so option 1 isn't my only idea.

If you do find which fuse it is that would be great cfb!

5. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    I went out and took some photos of the fuses.
    Engine room:
    DSC_0183.JPG
    DSC_0184.JPG
    Interior:
    DSC_0185.JPG
    I just had a thought while I was taking these photos.
    DSC_0182.JPG
    Don't JP and AUS Copen have a window lock button where my EU Copen has it's rear fog light button? Because I don't think JP and AUS Copen have a rear fog light and I think I remember seeing a window lock button in a photo.
    You said the window still goes down when you lower the roof right? Maybe you have this button pressed in by mistake?

rayva, sunlover and Brian S like this.
  6. copenforbusiness

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    wow! @afron1, that is very comprehensive. I can only add what's in the manual:
    upload_2020-9-28_9-10-12.png
    I hope this helps, but it's not clear for me which one/s are the relevant ones. :worried:
    Number 6 perhaps: P/W for Power windows? big square pink one on the right in AFRON1 picture.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    sunlover and Brian S like this.
  7. Brian S

Car(s):
    Hi AFRON,
    I'd rather look stupid than have an electrical problem any day - sort of! It's like picking between "idiot" and "debit card".
    Jap/Aus Copens do not come with a rear fog light. So they went to the parts bin to find something to put there.
    We also have the three buttons you show on the right under the vent which, from the left are:
    1. Fog lights
    2. Let's come back to this one....
    3. Rear Demister.

I've owned two excellent warmed up Sirion GTvis. Great cars! They died too young at the hands of legally blind drivers.
    Looking around the Copen, you can see that Daihatsu dived into the GTvi parts bin for most switchgear.
    They used everything they could but had to put things in different areas because of space issues.
    On the driver's right door is a typical electric window & mirror setup. The same mirror gear that hides behind the steering wheel. There are also 6 switches - 4 window buttons & in front are the "unlock"button & the "stop my nephews playing with the window" button.
    Back to button 2. Yes, it's the "lock the back windows button". Unfortunately there are only 2 windows in a Copen.
    so, it locks the only windows.
    2. Lock the windows button. Yes, it was pushed in. FFS, I feel stupid. In my favour, it's not backlit.
    Why the hell would Daihatsu put this "feature" in a bloody Copen? Couldn't put the secret boot button there?.
    So, now my windows are working.
    I feel stupid, but I don't have to flash my tired Visa card.
    Thanks AFRON! Brian.
    purple-dunce-cap-boy-png-300_250.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    rayva likes this.
  8. Brian S

Car(s):
    Turns out that I'm just an idiot.
    The three buttons on the right under the vent, none backlit, are:
    1. Fog lights
    2. I'll get back to this one
    3. Rear demister.
    Turns out that for some reason Daihatsu replaced that 2. Rear fog light button with a...lock the rear windows button!
    So I had button 2 pushed in & didn't notice or think of it. I mean I NEVER use that.
    I must have accidentally pushed it in. So I'm an idiot, but an idiot with working windows! I'll go sit in the corner...
    purple-dunce-cap-boy-png-300_250.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  9. adatara

adatara Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    L880 Copen; have a Honda Airwave (long Honda Fit); had Subaru Foresters
    I've accidentally pushed the 'window lock' button on my JDM Copen a few times. "Why won't the windows go up, grr." Usually happened at night, making it harder to see the bit of orange at the top of the button when it isn't pushed in. Thought I had a fuse problem or something when the windows wouldn't go up. Put a cover on the car for the night. Check the car the next day, see the window lock button was pushed in. Problem solved.

Brian S likes this.
  10. Brian S

Car(s):
    Sounds very familiar Adatara. So the problem is not confined to Australians!
    Pretty cheapskate of Daihastu not to back-light those damn buttons!

11. adatara

Car(s):
    Backlighting those buttons would have been nice. Cheapskating - the current LA400K Copen has cheap things I really don't like compared to our 1st gen Copens. New Copen doesn't have a storage bin by the steering wheel; red seats are dark red (I prefer the bright red leather of my car); the small window behind the main window is gone. I think few people use the tonneau cover, so the LA400K is designed without one. Admittedly I rarely use my tonneau cover - it stays home most of the time - but like its style when installed. I put it on when the weather forecast calls for no rain & I'll be driving all day with few stops.

Brian S likes this.
  12. Brian S

Car(s):
    I had no idea that a tonneau even existed for Copens! I'd love a pic! Seems like an answer to a question I never even thought to ask but it would stop me dropping vapes down there. Why do you use one? I had tonneaus on my (brilliant Cooper S 1348cc) MG Midget Mk III & on my (hugely disappointing Austin 1800) MGB Mk II. I think there are two main types of soft-top, British (maliciously leaky) and Japanese (useful for rain). MGF variants I hear weren't bad.

Red seats? Australian delivered Copens you got a choice of yellow or silver paint, then black interior & grey cloth seats or - nah, that's it. A bit of red or blue stitching on the gear boot, steering wheel & seats (including "Copen") wouldn't have hurt. It was just a very expensive hero car after all, selling in the hundreds. My GTvis both had nice stitching, so they could do it.

But seriously? Removing in-cabin storage on the new Copen is criminal - I live with a 1 DIN stereo just to have that space. Likewise the token wind spoiler, that's really cheap. By using painted old plastic cards & sticky felt, I've extended that little box next to the door about 3cm! But my bigger, useful, cargo nets are the best. You can screw into the back, it's just wood.

I've often thought that a nice electric soft-top would be a great option for Copens, as suddenly you would have actual practicality via a real boot. The new MX-5 really impresses me, angry face & angles aside, in fact the 1.5 is the only car I consider a plausible replacement. But cute girls won't tell me how good my MX-5 looks! I'm not a fan of taking pretty cars & then following the "angry face" trend. Major culprits are: Copen, MX-5 (but it did get fat & ugly), Lexus IS200. I like pretty girls & pretty cars, not so much the angry ones.

Maybe in the UK the hardtop would be essential for 40 - 48 weeks of the year, but I always feel like I'm stuffed into a <1 cubic metre aluminium box. With a passenger, it feels like I'm being smuggled across some border. So even though it gets very cold here in Canberra, unless it's raining (and it doesn't rain enough) I just put on a jumper & crank up the heater, -4 deg is about my limit. I didn't buy a Copen to drive in a small box. No need to put the roof up much as the Swift has volunteered to live outside our single garage. Fukushima climate looks perfect, 0 - 30 deg. Japanese girls, you're livin' the dream! Now just get a nice maxi-scooter!

I think that Copen priorities are: looks, engine, build quality, interior first appearance ..... interior touch & feel ...... practicality not at all. I particularly hate that briefcase sized space under the roof that you have to put the damn roof up to get to! But taking the timeless, curvaceous 1st gen & gluing an MX-5 face & angles onto it means it will date & never be as collectable as the drop-dead gorgeous 1st Gen. People don't believe it's a Dec 03 car. D had 7 years to design the LA400K, but it seems
    they just saw the new MX-5 & decided "Honey, I Shrunk the MX-5!" would do. Cheers mate

adatara likes this.
  13. rayva

rayva Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen

adatara likes this.
  14. adatara

Car(s):
    Fukushima.jpg tonneau.JPG
    Brian S, here are 2 pics with the tonneau cover on. Though I rarely use the cover I think it makes the car look better, filling the gap behind the seats, giving the car a more finished, rounded look. Takes a few minutes to install. If a sudden raincloud comes ya gotta stop, rush take it off. If I'm planning a photo shoot with the car I put it on.

Roads in Fukushima prefecture are pretty good for driving. Easy to find fun side roads; I lived near a scenic road up in the mountains. A drift race track was in my town & I was tempted to get a 3rd car for drifting. Gunma pref. is famous for drift driving & I drove some fun roads while living in Gunma, but to me Fukushima's roads are more fun, less crowded. Might do a quick road trip next week. The Copen's small size lets me go down little roads with tight turns that'd be hard for even an MX-5.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020