window problem

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by lex schotel, Feb 17, 2017.

1. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    I haven't used my copen for a little while and I have the following problem .

I opened the roof and normally all windows go down , this time the right hand quarter stayed up .
    To look cool in the aussi sun I put up my side windows , all good so far .

when I came home I put the roof up and surprise surprise the little window worked again and i thought the problem solved itself .
    But ! the big side windows didnt want to come up again after the roof closed , so roof down again and the side windows worked fine .
    After putting the roof up and down a few times the left side window started to work again .
    The right big window doesn't work when the roof is closed .
    What could be the problem ? some sensor I guess but where can I start looking for the problem any suggestions ??

2. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I'm guessing your right side roof latch sensor mate, windows don't work when you close the roof until you latch those so seems logical.

3. lex schotel

Car(s):
    both latches beep when they close , so its not that ,
    But thanks for the suggestion .

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Is your battery OK? I have noticed when batteries on the copen go bad, the windows are on stike :D

5. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I agree with Salieri, my battery isn't great at the moment and my windows are doing very odd things - quaterlights open instead of main windows, then won't close, main windows won't open or will then won't close - I know it seems odd but it is definitely the battery on its way out for me so it is probably worth checking :D

6. Chrismadeley

Chrismadeley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid Special Edition
    Yes, a new battery and new plugs has solved my intermittent misfire problems too!

7. lex schotel

Car(s):
    I will check the condition of that , I thought that that would have shown up in slower winding over of the starter motor ?
    that seems to wind over as normal .
    and wouldnt this also show up when the roof is down ? both windows work fine then ....

8. Chrismadeley

Chrismadeley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid Special Edition
    I was surprised that poor battery condition doesn't always reveal itself in slower winding of the starter motor as you would expect. With the old battery my radio cut out when I was listening to it without the engine running. I tried to start the car and the battery wouldn't turn the engine over. But when I came back to the car 5 minutes later the starter motor turned over the car and started the engine without any problem!

9. lex schotel

Car(s):
    I wll go on a Sunday ride On my motorbike and during that time I will put it on a charger ,and will check if this will make a difference.
    I that doesnt work I will check it with the ford falcon battery if that would fit.
    Pff I hope the problem will be that simple .
    I have a leak in the condensor of the aircon , does anybody have the part-number for this as I will try to get a new one from somewhere .....She gets pretty hot inside now as we are having a sort of a heatwave in brisbane ....

10. lex schotel

Car(s):
    Many thanks guys , the window is up again :)
    I charged the battery for about an hour , any longer i would probably cook the poor thing as it is made for big truck batteries .
    But it did the trick , lowered the quarter window , moved the latches a few times , tried it again and the window came up :)
    many thanks ,
    If any has got the condensor part number for the airco .... let me know ok .

11. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Ah, I noticed checking the service manual that the sensors use the current flowing through them to register closed, so I guess reduced current stops them working properly. Might be worth investing in one of the little Voltage/Temp/USB socket things off Toozalili's thread What does your cig lighter do?
    I got one myself, have to turn it 90 degrees to actually use the USB socket but it looks nice and will let me know of any battery probs.