Will 6 inch wheels fit ?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Charith Kulasiri, May 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Charith Kulasiri

Charith Kulasiri Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen LA400K

Toyota Starlet EP82 (past)
    Toyota Ceres (past)
    BMW E36 316 and 318is (past)
    I have recently come into the possession of some TE37 alloys measuring at 14 inches and 6 inch wide. ET 38 they are yet to arrive but been pondering if they will fit

According to what I’ve seen online through calculators it should fit but just wondering if any of you guys have fitted before on a second generation Copen? Any feedback greatly appreciated

peter d Jones likes this.
  2. Travis

Travis Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66 2004
    Hi there I’ve spoken to other people who’ve tried to fit wheels and apparently the ideal size for wheels is 15inch or less diameter and 6j with a pcd of 36 so you’re basically perfect there

3. Charith Kulasiri

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen LA400K

Toyota Ceres (past)
    [​IMG]

THEY FIT WOOT WOOT

adatara, Brian S, Vicky and 1 other person like this.
  4. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    I really don't know, but I can report that 15" 175/55s will not only scrape on hard lock, but absolutely ruin the handling. I just sold a set of 3k km 175/55s for $110, so they cost me $390 of the $500 I paid. (it's an unusual size.) Back on nice Hankook 175/50s, she again handles like a cat on carpet.
    So what width & aspect ratio did you go with & how's the handling after the change? I'd be interested to know. Hope you got it right first time.
    Happy motoring mate!

5. Charith Kulasiri

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen LA400K

Toyota Ceres (past)
    Hi Brian

So I have been watching what the Jap boys do and their prefered size is to run 15 inch x 5.5jj on 185/55/15 tires or 14 inch x 5.5jj on 175/60/14 tires

Supposed to improve handling and ride quality compared to the stock 16 inch x 4.5jj wheels which come with 165/50/16 tires

The connudrum that i had was that my wheels are 14 by 6 inches wide so i wasnt sure if the tires used by the Jap guys would work, and with COVID import restrictions had to resort to buying something that was in stock which was 165/65/14. Luckily it all fits perfectly with no rub or any other issue.

6. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hmm, the 2nd gen may have different suspension geometry. Mine came with stock 15" 165/50 5.5", with new looking Yokohamas, but they were 9 years old, so off they went. I thought that going to 175 was a no-brainer, but then I thought changing the aspect ratio to 175/55 would soften the ride a bit. Unexpectedly, it completely ruined the handling. Like really, traumatically bad. In rain, positively terrifying.
    So off went a 2nd pair of almost new tyres & more new ones, Hankook Kinergy 175/50s, & problem solved. They are really good all round tyres. I've done practice emergency stops in the wet, very good. Excellent roadholding on the twisty mountain roads that surround Canberra.
    Let me know how your wheel/tyre thing works out.