1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why a Copen?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by machinehead, Sep 22, 2009.

1. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Why did you buy a Copen as opposed to all the other cars available?

For me, I wanted open top motoring.

I wanted the car to be different because I have a long history of driving quirky cars.

I wanted the car to be uncommon.

I wanted the car to be reasonably cheap to buy and run.

I didn't really care if it was very fast or not.

I wanted the car to be small.

There are lots of open top two seaters available but the Copen seemed to press all the right buttons; for me anyway.

M.

2. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

I wanted to return to open top motoring, but I did not want to spend a fortune to do it.

I wanted something different - I'd had a PT Cruiser for 7 years, they were uncommon back then.

I wanted better fuel economy.

The Copen ticked every box bar one for me. The missed box was rear wheel drive, which I felt a two seater should be but it was not close to a deal breaker.

10,000 miles later I still smile every time I get in it :)

3. hannah15mini

hannah15mini Copenworld Newbie

For me I just fell in love the first time I set eyes on one as I passed the Daihatsu garage on the way to work, I went in and then found out it was a convertible too, I had to test drive it..i loved it even more (and believe me I am not really a car person but this car does it for me), but unfortunately I couldn't afford it back in 2004/05 and they were still pricey 2nd hand at the time, so I waited and finally got one this year when I was ready to change my car/afford it and I got a great deal too...all the extras (heated seats, electric windows) are just a bonus. After all those years that passed I can't believe I am finally the owner of a Copen. There isn't really many other cars I like for me, the nissan figaro is nice but they are quite old and I really didn't want to own a car that old with that much mileage or to have an automatic plus the soft top - I much prefer the idea of a hard top for a convertible - safer, don't get damp/mould etc. I do like the Fiat 500 (bubble car). Bubble cars are cool anyway and as a child when I saw an old red bubble car on the tv I told my mum I was going to get a bubble car when I was older! - The Copen is of a bubble shape and just goes to show my taste has not really changed! I do like mini's too but not the new ones! But I am not a fan of the KA or Street KA .. just don't do it for me, nissan micras - blah! lol

What other cars do you like?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Tony likes this.
  4. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

I am a big lover of VW campers. I've had 4 in all.

Also, I love Morris Minors. I've had 3. Two saloons and a Traveller. (Woody) Georgeous cars.

Other cars I like; 2CV, Fiat 500, VW Beetle, the list could be quite long. Better stop now.....

M.

sunlover likes this.
  5. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    I first saw a Copen on Top Gear, and just fell instantly and incurably in love - don't ask me why. I vowed I was going to have one, one day, and opened a little savings account.

Fast forward a couple of years to January of this year; we were driving past a garage on Mr Pikachu's Harley, and they had a yellow Copen on the forecourt. I got Mr P's attention by hitting him (I gotta stop doing that while he's riding...), and we stopped to have a look at her.

I couldn't afford her, and I'd always vowed I wouldn't have a yellow one. But I had a sit in her...and I found out that although she was a '53 plate, she only had 7000 miles on the clock...and she was a 660 turbo - I wanted a turbo...and, and, and...

My family were wonderful. Mr P let me trade in the family Civic, and my son lent me the balance, and I still look out of the bedroom window to check she's really mine and she's really here!

Tony likes this.
  6. hannah15mini

hannah15mini Copenworld Newbie

Yeah VW Campers/Beetles are cool, I like them too ;)

7. Brad

Brad Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2002 Copen, 1999 Dodge 3/4 Ton Ram, 2002 Gino, 1999 Harley Davidson Sportster
    I'm in Japan, the land where car designers walk on the wild side. I saw a Copen the week I first got here and thought "It's a baby Audi!" I still think the Audi TT is a great car but I love my Copen!

sunlover likes this.
  8. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    I only like unique cars, normal cars bore me

9. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Yellow Juke Tekna & 2006 silver Copen.
    I wanted a convertible roadster that didn't scream 'hey, look how macho I am'. I viewed a few Copens including a yellow one which I really wanted but the AA report said to avoid. I bought Belle and have been in love ever since.
    And Luna, the Collie loves going out in her.

Attached Files:

sunlover likes this.