Whistling Turbo

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by PeterH, Jun 14, 2015.

1. PeterH

PeterH Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    :think:Just had a service done and the garage noted that "Turbo whistle seems excessive". Would I be right in thinking that my Turbo is on the way out ?

2. TooCopen

TooCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello PeterH,

I'm french Copen owner, 07 turbo as you have and very pleased :D
    I want to reassure you, "noise" is not a sign of turbo failure, if you do not observe power missing.

First: did you heard this noise, and is it different for you than before ?

Secund: what is 'garage service" ? Did they change oil filter ?

My (hidden) question is : did they need to dismantle something around the turbo intercooler ?
    Please tell us what king of oil filter was installed before (if you know), and what oil filter is now installed (mentioned on bill).
    Depending of filter type, different dismantling is necessary.
    Also a "leak" can occur, something not well connected, and the noise is because of that. Check all connections around air intercooler.
    And ask the garage if they do well :rolleyes:

And, please, give return, for other people in same question :think:

3. PeterH

PeterH Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi TooCopen,
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I've only had my Copen a couple of weeks and it has always whistled during that time especially at lower revs. Since I've had it serviced I think it is a bit more pronounced but it could just be that I'm listening more intently.

My car had no service history when I bought it and therefore I'm not sure what type of filter was on it before the service but I deliberately used a local garage which had a Branch which had been a Daihatsu dealer in the past and I therefore assume that they have used approved parts. The service details shows that an 'Element Oil Filter - their Part No 1560197201' was used.

I'll also keep an eye open for leaks around the intercooler.

Merci bien.

Peter H.

4. TooCopen

TooCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello PeterH,

My first reply was "quick," but this one is... late, sorry for that. I cannot access this forum so often :eek:
    Did you progress about your car knowledge, and particularly this noise ?
    The ref you indicate for oil filter seems to be the good one for your car : 15601-97201-000
    I personnaly experimented that : after turbo-intercooler dismantling and re-assemble, a noise appeared when turbo raised in speed :think:
    It was due to small leaks in pressure, between turbo itself and motor intake. So I inspected every seal and collar, and this noise disappeared.

This motor needs a very good oil (and filter, on my opinion), changed every 5000 km or 3500 miles.
    If you have no history (don't be afraid !), change also cooling liquid and "pressostat", and change breaking fluid too :)
    This car is really reliable. If turbo is not down because of maintenance lack (you will know quickly, and there is solution...) you will have plenty of pleasure with it :D
    People (on this site or others) made more than 200 thousands km without major failure, I would like to confirm, I am just 070 thousands, but very pleased with it :)
    I will appreciate to have news from you ;)