1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel center cap & cover missing?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Crystal copen, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Crystal copen

Crystal copen Copenworld Member

The Gf noticed this earlier leaving work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All but one of the center caps have fallen off/been nicked over time but they all had this cover still fitted, now one wheels missing this

[​IMG]

Is it still safe to drive with this cover missing? Not sure BT it looks like someone's prized a tool in thre to get it off the other wheel?

2. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I would say yes it's safe. Its only a dust cap to keep the weather and muck out. But maybe long term its not advisable as the weather and dust may work their way onto the bearing which would lead to premature wearing out.
    Its a bit like having a rubber caps on your nipples. But I'm starting to tread into DaG's territory there :D

What I think you are thinking is a result of a prised in tool (no jokes about a prize tool here!) is the lock nut is hammered /bent into the orifice on the axle to stop it undoing. They all have that. Its a critical part and you don't want vibration undoing to nut!

Advice: get a new or secondhand dust cap and bang it in

Anyone else think different? I can't see any sign of damage or tampering.

3. Crystal copen

Crystal copen Copenworld Member

Thanks mate (again!!)

I feel a bit of a plum now! Just been looking online and that indent is on other wheels I've seen without the dust cap. I'll order another cap now and get it on there :)

4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes