What's going on here? Whatever it is, I like it!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by baobab68, Mar 3, 2015.

1. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Just had my little Buzz serviced a couple of weeks ago, and since it was done I have noticed much improved performance. My mechanic changed the oil filter but I don't think a whole lot else was done.

It's like I am experiencing the turbo for the first time or something. I'm loving it, but wondering why I've never noticed it before.

I should add that we've had a hot summer here in Sydney so it might just be that now that it's cooling down, I might be using the aircon a lot less. :)

*now* I really understand why people love their Copens. Had Buzz's top down on the weekend and siliconed all the seals etc - that also seems to make him go faster :)

Mechanic says I will soon need an air filter, and it's likely to have to be genuine - anyone have experience of what this might cost?

EDIT: I also meant to ask - do you folks drive your Copens hard or do you baby them? My mechanic says "you need to give it a bit of stick".

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Genuine air filters are pricey, as are Blueprint clones! Your best bet is to get a Nipparts or D-Sport filter. The Nipparts J1326025 costs about 13 EUR from MicksGarage... http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=3202027

Might as well buy 3/4 of them to make the shipping costs worth while. Replacing the air filter is easy, don't even need to take the front bumper off (as it says in the service manual). Just use a pliers to pull off the rings clamping the top of the air box down, and the little metal clip on the pipe. Pull the entire top off, and boom - filter is there.

3. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Thanks for this information, I will see what price my mechanic comes back with as well. Is the one you linked to the correct one? They're actually pretty cheap!

You're right about buying multiples, that shipping charge is pretty hefty.

Anyone have any comments on the performance boost that I mentioned?