What is making this sound?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by baobab68, Jun 14, 2014.

1. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    New Copen owner here, and have a simple question - when I first rev the engine after starting the car (or perhaps when I first put it in gear and put it under load), there is a loud mechanical sound from the front driver's side under the bonnet - it sounds like some motor is adjusting something. Happens every time.

Anyone able to enlighten me as to what it might be?

Car seems to handle ok and acceleration etc are fine...

Also another comment...having read these forums a little I find I have "lubrication anxiety" - worried about killing the turbo if I don't get the car checked every three months or so... am I giving this undue significance? How can I tell, as a layman, that the turbo is actually ok?

2. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    I would have that investigated. Are you handy if so there are things you can do yourself ?

Check under the bonnet for anything that could be coming loose.
    From below check the security of the exhaust and for worn drive shaft couplings. ( Grsap the drive shaft and try to turn it there should be zero slack)

You will need to get the car on ramps which isn't easy as it is very low so maybe it would be best to invest 30 quid having your local garage investigate.

Definately shouldn't have that noise though

3. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    It's quite a deliberate sound though.

It's the kind of sound you could imagine might happen if there was some automatic tightening of the bonnet or if it was an automatic raising of an antenna. (I know neither of those things happen, just giving an example)

I'll have to watch the DVD and see if it's mentioned there.

Anyone have comment on the turbo anxiety?

4. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    think I get that too - some kind of winding sound for a second light something is tightening up?
    never had any problems so assume it's supposed to happen - my dad thought it was something clutch related but that's just a guess.

5. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    DSB - that's the one. It comes from under the right hand side of the bonnet (as viewed when sitting in drivers seat)... I wonder what it is...?

6. Lotuseater

Lotuseater Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Could it be the fuel pump?

7. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Ah-hah, that would make sense!

8. grunt

grunt Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Audi A4
    2003 Copen 659
    re the lubrication anxiety - I'd just make sure it gets regular service now that you own it.

I intend to get mine serviced on schedule to keep the books up-to-date - and given the genuine oil filters are only $15 + GST (I called my local Brisbane Toyota dealer today to get a couple) - I also intend to change the oil in between official services.

My Daihatsu oil filter tool arrived from Japan today (to make the job a little easier) so it looks like I'll be doing the job this week end :) In in two minds whether to run a flush through it too.

And yes - if it's a sort of mechanical/electrical sound (hard to describe :)) not long after starting the engine - it's a good chance that's the electric fuel pump sound. Some cars have a louder one than others. My Copen does the same - sounds like my Cube used to.

9. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Spoke to a client of mine who is a motor mechanic and will get him to check it over in about a month. Before then I will have to address the various squeaks in the roof with a bit of silicone spray that everyone seems to recommend here, and read up on adjusting the roof tension which some have discussed as well.

Mechanic said the turbo will die eventually no matter what one does... :-(

10. grunt

grunt Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Audi A4
    2003 Copen 659
    don't stress it - the turbo like the whole engine and all rotating mechanicals will fail eventually.

It is just very susceptible due to it's high rotation and heat.

It's all about regular maintenance to prevent the inevitable as long as possible.