Waspy is dead - Check your brake lines

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Neil50, May 23, 2018.

1. Neil50

Neil50 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen, yellow red leather interior
    2006 525d BMW 5 Series Touring MSport
    Audi A2
    Hi everyone, haven't been on for ages due to work commitments etc.

Waspy went in for her MOT and is now dead as a flat wasp after being hit with a rolled up newspaper and a housebrick!!

The major issue was terminal rust EVERYWHERE, including seat belt points, all suspensions mounting points and basically everywhere else. The major safety issue though was that when they put her on the rollers to test the brakes, they actually blew the brake line apart due to the rust!!!!!!! I recommend that everyone keeps an eye on this as not everyone has undersealed cars. every brake line was reported as being severely corroded and given a major fail which in the new rules meant I couldn't drive it away for safety. They have however kindly agreed to drop her back on my drive tomorrow with their car transporter.

I will then consider stripping her down and selling off some parts as apart from the rust she was running well (lumpy engine but she had been standing throughout the winter on the drive.

This brings our Copen owning period to an end for a while. Maybe in the future, we will look for another waspy (must be yellow) but Dawn also has an Audi A2 and doesn't even use that now as she works less than half a mile away.

I will advertise parts as I get time to strip her down (with tears in my eyes):cry::cry::cry:

2. Hef

Hef Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen, Volvo 240 glt, Hyundai Terracan, Citroen C6
    Evening Neil,
    I'm gutted for you, nothing worse than a serious fail at mot time. Not meaning to sound to mercenary about it but I'm after a few bits as and when you start removing parts. I'm only in Aberdare so not too far away.

3. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    Very sorry to hear this; I remember the car and meeting you at the Gaydon gathering in 2016, if memory serves me correctly.

4. Neil50

Car(s):
    Audi A2
    Hi Hef, I need to change my avatar and signature as I moved from Chepstow last year to Cornwall so unfortunately far away from most people now.

5. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    :think::cry:

Kai:(

mushrooms likes this.
  6. Hef

Hef Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen, Volvo 240 glt, Hyundai Terracan, Citroen C6
    Evening Neil, Not a problem ! Saltash isn't a bad run from here, I bought a lada niva from there a couple of years ago. An interesting drive home if and when you're ready let me know when your going start selling some parts, I'll make a day of it !

7. Neil50

Car(s):
    Audi A2
    OK Hef, not sure when that will be as Dawn doesn't want to let it go at the moment even though it can no longer go on the road (she is that attached to it she even asked me if I could put him in the garden as a chill out area)!

8. mushrooms

mushrooms Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen

Sorry to hear about your loss ☹ but let's make Waspy live on forever more! How about the great folks on Copenworld donate £10 to a charity of your choice for a small piece of Waspy? We will all add the bit of Waspy to our beloved Copens and let him live on. We will promise to take pictures of his adventures into his new life? Waspy will live forever?

9. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    @Neil50

Using Waspy as a chill area isn’t a bad idea. I’d put a decent outdoor projector screen in front of it and use a pico projector to show movies outdoors. You’ve already got the door speakers and with a bit of clever wiring, the roof will still work via a 12V supply.

Roof down in summer and back up in the winter. You could even figure out some sort of heating or just use the seats.

10. Neil50

Car(s):
    Audi A2
    Thinking of cutting the front off and turning the engine bay into a bar-b-q and maybe using the remainder as a seating area with the working roof as a sun shade and space to recline the seats with the dashboard not there to chill out.

Vin Petrol likes this.
  11. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Or you could buy another Copen and turn your old into boot space :D

copentrailer.jpg

12. Neil50

Car(s):
    Audi A2
    We wil look for another Copen later as haven't got the money at the moment. Has to be another yellow one though!!

13. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
  14. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen