1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wannabe owner: what to watch out for?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Joseph Dorje, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Joseph Dorje

Joseph Dorje Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Wannabe Copen owner
    I am an aspiring Copen owner. I have an import in my sights: what to watch out for particularly? I have heard to be careful of a cheaper import/Japanese domestic model roof. Anything else.

Also, I m 6 foot+. Am I a fool and a dreamer or not? Top-down days in Glasgow are uncommon enough that I need to be able to use the wee thing with it up.

Cheers
    Joseph

2. NigelP

NigelP Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    08 Copen 1.3
    Hi Joseph,
    There is a buyer's guide in the 'problems, fixes and tips' forum that should give you the advice you need. I would be wary of buying a Copen without seeing it first. You should pay particular attention to the wheel arches and underside for signs of rust and make sure that the roof operates correctly as both can be expensive to repair. A well documented service record would also provide reassurance.
    There is a surprising amount of space once you are inside the cabin. Perhaps you could go and have a sit in one to make sure that your height wouldn't cause you any difficulties getting in and out.
    If you do make a purchase you will find that this website, and the many contributors who are very knowledgeable about all things Copen, will help you to keep your car in good shape.
    Good luck.

Tony likes this.
  3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Joseph,

There isn’t much point in searching out a grey import as prices of a UK spec car are very reasonable anyway.

They all rust but look for forum members looking to sell as many of us have taken sensible measures by either repairing or rust proofing the offending panels. Glasgow isn’t that far from Cumbria is it ? Failing that, look at Autotrader and don’t be too scared by a Cat D (or whatever it is now) as the price of parts will make anything but a minor bump uneconomic for an insurance company.

As Nigel says, try before you buy. I’m a short arse so headroom is never a problem but the seats are relatively high compared to my MX-5. That said, it makes it easier to get in and out without resorting to a sideways roll onto the pavement.

Rob.

4. Joseph Dorje

Joseph Dorje Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Wannabe Copen owner
    Many thanks for the advice. I was able to sit in one today and am still in the Thinking About It phase.

5. William Bird

William Bird Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hey Joseph. I live in Glasgow and imported mine from Australia, completely rust free and in totally original one owner condition.

Have done very thorough under body sealing against the Scottish weather. And by the way I am 5ft11 and I can manage perfectly. There are also quite a few opportunities to have the roof down.

Would be great if there were another Copen in and around Glasgow. Haven't seen any since I've had mine !!

Keep us posted on your progress.

6. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Joseph I'm in Ayrshire, husband I's 6ft 4 and can fit in at a squeeze hes a big lad, I try to get him to stick to his car! Should think 6ft would be do able

7. Toucan

Toucan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2009 Daihatsu Copen 1.3 petrol
    You should be alright for height issues in the car with the roof up or down. Check for rust in the wheel arches or any strange noises whilst the roof is folding down/going up. I think it is a lot better to see the copen first before you buy in order to check on rust. It would be quite a good idea to have a garage to store it in for the winter and rainy weather to slow down any rusting.

8. William Bird

William Bird Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi Joseph,
    Any news on your Copen ? Would be a treat to see another one in Glasgow. Mine's great !!