Waiting impatiently to pick up my Copen...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lovebug_car, Aug 18, 2016.

1. lovebug_car

lovebug_car Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi everyone,

I have found myself a nice little 2007 1.3 Copen locally, have put down my deposit but awaiting my Pug 208 to be collected by the finance co (hoping to pick up my 'new' little car next week). It's very hard waiting when there is so much I'm thinking of getting done & changed/prettified
    I have stalked the forums trying to gather information and ideas. Everyone seems so helpful & passionate about these little cars. I love it already!

One of the first things id like to do I put a double din stereo in. I'm thinking, while the is dash I out I'd like to get some wrapping done and of course I've found someone local in Gloucestershire that can seal the underside so this will hopefully keep it safe from the salty Glos roads.
    Will no doubt need some help/advice along the way!

copenworld likes this.
  2. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Here is my dinky car...official newbie photo upload Although not technically mine currently

Attached Files:

3. Old Badger

Old Badger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Welcome Lovebug!! You're gonna love your little bug! Let us know how you get on, first impressions, etc.

OB

4. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks Old Badger, will do

5. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Welcome to Copenworld Lovebug. It sounds like you have already fallen in love with your Copen. Enjoy making plans :rofl:

lovebug_car likes this.
  6. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Welcome, don't need to take the dash out to fit a radio though. But read up on air bag safety if you do remove the dash, if you don't know how an air bag can kill your not ready to go!

7. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    You just need to remove the centre consol bit to fit a double din radio (is that what you meant by the dash?) :) if so you don't need to worry about the air bag - if you are taking off the steering wheel / whole dash then worry away :sweating::sweating::sweating:

Bemused likes this.
  8. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
  9. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thank you. I would either get it professionally done or follow a youtube video for the radio. Don't want any nasty surprises

10. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Yes, I meant the centre console section just for the radio & heating controls. I watched another member do it on a video which I presume is the link you have given me..thank you.
    With regards to the stereo being a bit bigger (double din?) do you recommend any in particular? In order for it to fit nicely etc.

11. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Ah, yes this helps a lot thank you ClareL

12. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    They should all fit but you need to be careful of the depth back into the car, some stick out quite a bit because it is limited how far back you can put the unit. Just go for the smallest you can find >:)

lovebug_car likes this.
  13. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    Wow, Lovebug, you haven't picked the car up yet and you have so many plans! You're gonna love it and there are so many things you can do to improve and personalize the little car. I'm not a great tinkerer but Neville has a new Pioneer stereo and In-Phase active sub, he sports a pair of DRLs to make him more visible, he's been undersealed in all those tender places and his dents and dings have been sorted so he looks the biz. As for on the road - soooo much fun! :rofl: So, yeah, keep us up-to-date on your progress and your feelings when you, at last, get behind the wheel. Wheeeeeeeeee! :D

lovebug_car likes this.
  14. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I know Jules, I think I need to control myself until I at least have his keys in my hands! I've wanted a Copen for a good few years now since my other half mentioned their existence but have had a Pug 208 on PCP for just over 2years. I wasn't totally happy with it & figured that what I was spending on a new car could be going towards an older car that I still really wanted. Its all swings & roundabouts with older vs new car costs!
    I have imaginatively nick-named the Copen as Copey for now but it might just stick
    I'm sticking to the undersealing as a priority I think, especially reading the forum regarding rust & I want to prolong my little copen's life obviously.
    Not brave enough to face the uncertainty of import duty for orders from Japan just yet so just the basics for me to start with. Looking forward to Copen ownership very much!
    Carmen

JulesAtCumbria likes this.
  15. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    You're going to have fun, our (my) Copen was brought as a Sunday car for the wife. Took a few days for it to become "our" car. Its now unofficially MY car.

lovebug_car likes this.
  16. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I finally have my little Copen home. Been for a nice trip out this evening with my partner & (small) dog; top down, enjoying the sunset!
    Great fun, very happy

Attached Files:

17. Old Badger

Old Badger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Well done Lovebug! It's fun isn't it? And the fun just goes on and on.....by the way where did you put doggie? In the boot? :rofl:

18. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Oh yes, it is great fun to drive Old Badger!
    The wee dog was quite happy in the footwell & did have a sneeky cuddle on my partner's lap. He loved the open top. When it's just me & the dog, I'll just strap him in to the passenger seat to keep him safe.

One thing we did find a little confusing was when we put the roof up. It was clipped back in to place but the passenger window wouldn't go up using the single window switches. It must have reset as I tried again opening & closing the roof again, and then pulling up both the driver & passenger window switches at the same time to get all the windows up. Am I doing something wrong? I will also look at the manual again...

One more thing I have noticed it that there is a small scrape on the rear corner of the roof on the drivers side. It has been touched up but having put the roof up & down a couple of times this eve, it seems to have scraped the paint off again. Does anyone else have this problem & is it was to adjust the mechanism to stop the rubbing/scraping?

Thanks,

Carmen

19. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    The windows not going up might be due to the microswitches that detect if the roof has been clipped in not "switching", therefore the electronics prevent the windows from rolling up.
    Listen for the beeping sound it will make when the roof closing/opening cycle was completed. When it does beep, you should be able to put the windows up.

The scratching on the roof is "normal", happens a lot and as far as I know it comes from the cables in the boot lid pushing down on the roof when its folded in. You could apply toothpaste to the scratch, open and close the roof, then look where the toothpaste was smeared on, gives you something to work with.

20. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Ok, good to know that its a common gripe. I don't need the toothpaste I don't think...had a look today and can clearly see the cable that it is rubbing on and the cable is actually wearing away too so I'm hoping the dealer I bought it from can put it right as it came with a dealer warranty which included anything going wrong with the active top! If they say no then I will have a look myself and complain to them. I just don't want it to get any worse I.e. short the electrics or break through the cable or just keep damaging the roof.
    Little Copey will most likely need a full respray or wrap in the future but for now I'll just have to touch up the scratch to prevent a rust attack.