1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing tomorrow - advice please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BarnsleyRob, Feb 3, 2017.

1. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    hi again.

I'm looking at two models tomorrow and already have my handy checklist based on the info on this forum.

A couple of questions please.

Other than a Stanley knife, is there any way to check under the carpets ? I couldn't lift them on the car I saw today.

How much would it cost to respray a bonnet and roof panel ? They all seem to have shotblast !
    What's the general availability of parts like exhaust, windscreen, window glass, shocks etc. What's the seemingly minor part that might take the car off the road for a while ?

Do the heated seats get very warm ? I tried them on a viewing today with the ignition on but although the switches lit up, they didn't get warm as far as I could tell.

On the 1300cc, is it normal to see a flashing alarm light on the centre console.

You input very gratefully received as I'm a complete newbie with these.

P.s. I'm looking at 2x1300 cc. Both under 70k miles and priced at £5k and £4K respectively. Does this seem a good price ?

2. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    Hey, @BarnsleyRob, you're going to have fun! I took a little while choosing Neville, and have never regretted my choice!

Can't answer all your questions, but here's a few:

• respray: the guy I uses charges about £100/panel so when I picked up Nev and he had some supermarket dents on the near-side, I had four panels done for about £400
    • heated seats - yes! In fairly short order I'm getting a well-warm bum and back, so you can definitely feel them (if they work!)
    • flashing light = alarm working. The thing that got me a few times at first was that it came on about 30 secs after opening the car (while I was sorting the music!) and I'd often go to start the car and ... nothing. Help! What's wrong! Oh, immobiliser - doh!
    • Price - don't know the years (57-59 plates, obviously) of the cars you're viewing but £5k seems a tad steep even for a 59 on 65k miles. Nev's got 31.5k on a 59 plate and I'd be thrilled to get £5k for him.
    Hey, massive good luck mate and make sure you're happy with your choice - there's always more out there if you're not sure. When you take the plunge for the right car, you're going to have a bundle of fun. Keep us in the loop, huh?

3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Hi Jules. Thanks for your input.
    In the running so far is a late 2009/59 with 52k miles for £5,495. No rust in the boot at all but a lot of stone chips and a small dent on the bonnet as well as a couple of chips on the leading and trailing edges of the roof. Seats are red leather and have a few scratches. Under the bonnet is quite immaculate for its age. As far as I can tell, no major rust issues but I can't get it up on a ramp to see underneath properly.
    The other is a late 2008/58 with 64k miles for £3,995. I'm hoping to view tomorrow and then drive both during the day.
    As far as the inner arches, wings and behind the bumpers are concerned, I guess I'm going to have to keep fingers crossed and budget for some preventative maintenance once I've bought one.