1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve clearance - spec for checking

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Eddie - Carver Owner, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Eddie - Carver Owner

Eddie - Carver Owner Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Owner of a Carver One with Daihatsu 660cc engine
    Hi folks.

I've just obtained a Carver One with the Copen 660 cc engine. It's done 36,000 miles since new in 2007. The Carver maintenance Manuals don't mention checking valve clearances, just things like oil and filter changes. I've just downloaded manuals form this site and can't find any mention there either.

Does any one know of a specified mileage for checking them? I'm not content with them not being checked after such a mileage. Or is this one of those tough little engines where it's hardly necessary?

Any info welcome.
    Eddie

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Eddie,
    Did you download the technical information manual?
    Have a look at section B2-6 of this manual.
    It shows the construction of the valves. The JB-DET Copen engine uses shimless valve lifters.
    From the information it gives there are 29 different thickness valve lifters. Reading it, to me it means these are set at the factory & don't adjusting.

I'm no mechanic though, so I could be talking rubbish, but to me it looks like they don't need touching.

3. Eddie - Carver Owner

Car(s):
    Thanks Adam. Yes, I have looked in B2-6 and seen the design of the valves. That sort of design can be pretty robust and not subject to too much wear in itself. But it's erosion of the valve seats and valves that necessitates checking and adjustment, as the valves sink a little into the head and the clearance to the camshaft closes up or disappears, which can cause burned-out valves and worse.

Maybe Daihatsu have valve seat and valve wear under control by good design and materials. Still, I'd expect any engine to need the clearances checking at something less than 36,000 mile intervals. What is the experience of Daihatsu Copen owners with valves? Any problems? And if someone has Owner's manuals with servicing schedules, does it not appear?
    Eddie

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    The service schedule is at section A2-2 of the Service manual. Valve clearances aren't listed.
    I'm sure I remember reading about a member who had a burnt valve. Can't remember the details though.
    Can't think of any other instances.
    I've certainly not had my valves clearances checked. I bought my Copen with @ 34k, now at 52k.

Found this thread:
    https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1149&highlight=burnt

5. Eddie - Carver Owner

Car(s):
    Thanks again Adam - I too found it in the 9842 A02 section simultaneously, it seems! I'd not looked there because the title page says 'Chassis' but it does indeed give engine service intervals at A02 page 3 And no mention of valve clearance check. Oh well, if that's the case and few people report problems - except that thread you found - then OK, I'm a little re-assured. Must be good valve and seat design.
    Eddie

6. Eddie - Carver Owner

Car(s):
    I'm informed by our Carver mechanic/technician that the Copen uses hydraulic tappets, which don't need adjustment.

7. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    I know I'm new here and bought our copen at the weekend but I already received a workshop CD from ebay today. There's an additional bulletin attachment spefically concerning valve clearance check and adjustment. I can try to copy and send you the relevant pages if you want?

Title No. SB010202
    SUBJECT: CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT OF VALVE CLEARANCES IN YRV IN-VEHICLE
    SERVICING OPERATION
    OVERSEAS SERVICE DIVISION

We have received reports from some dealerships, in which they said that they were unable to perform the check
    and adjustment of valve clearances in YRV in-vehicle servicing operation. Hence, we will issue a manual that describes
    the details of work procedures for them. Please use it as a version supplemental to Type K3 engine, as required.
    Furthermore, we are advancing our revising of the maintenance schedule of the whole motor vehicle so that the
    check and adjustment of valve clearances, too, may further be simplified.

8. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Thats for the 1.3 engine not his 0.7 turbo. The YRV had the 1.3.

9. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    ah ok, cheers.