Upper window trim has moved?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by baobab68, Jun 28, 2014.

1. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Gave Buzz a good cleanup the other day, had the roof up and down a few times, and to the halfway mark as well, which I'd not done before.

I noticed when closing up the car before going inside that the driver's door main window glass (ie not the quarter window), is now banging slightly on the upper window trim when closing the door. (This is the hard plastic strip that's part of the roof), and which the window used to *just* clear as you closed the door...now it hits it...

The trim doesn't seem to have moved lower or come adrift from the roof panel, so either:

- the door has lifted a bit
    - the roof has shifted a bit lower, or
    - the window is now raising slightly higher than it used to

Anyone got any suggestions? I tried to push the trim up, thinking it had worked its way down a bit, but it won't budge. I've resorted to lowering the window manually a few millimetres with the up/down switch, because I don't think it can be good for the glass panel to be hitting that plastic frame.

Confession: I did adjust the front screw things that are inside the roof clips, but they were already as tight as they could go anyway...wondering if that has caused it.

As I'm settling into owning the car I'm coming up with a few questions which will no doubt get posted here as time goes by, although I know you guys are mostly in England and probably all have the 1300cc version of the car...

2. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Add a photo it helps rather than long descriptions.

No, most in the UK are the turbo hair-drier kind. I'd say they out number the 1.3 around 3 or 4 to 1

3. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    I'll add a photo when it's not dark outside perhaps. I do see lots of other long posts here, hope it wasn't bad etiquette.

I always assumed that old Blighty got all the 1.3's that we didn't get in the colonies...! I don't think I've ever seen one up for sale here.

4. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    OK hopefully here is a pic showing the affected area. This is the driver's side door, the circle shows the area where the glass will hit the upper window frame (the black plastic part). Specifically it hits the frame right at the pointy corner of the window glass

If I drop the window even a couple of mm it's fine. Just wondering is there is some adjustment I can make?

http://imgur.com/8fDnsme

(edit: couldn't work out how to include the image in-line - the above is a link to where I posted it on IMGUR)

5. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Went and read up on posting images...

Here it should be:

IMG_3415.jpg

6. Funksterhardtop

Funksterhardtop Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    07 Copen
    I to have this same problem and slight wind noise as well , it only just rubs when I shut the door but would like to get it fixed .

7. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    I'll probably get used to dropping the window a little. I'm concerned that I've altered the pitch of the roof or something when I adjusted the front screw adjuster things that live inside the front roof clamps...btw I have zero roof rattle now... which on Sydney's roads is nigh on a miracle.

8. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Have you compared the height of the window to the back 1/4 window? They should be the same height when raised. (Easiest to check with the roof down.

If it is only on one side I think I might be tempted to have a look inside the door to try and see what limits the window up movement. Maybe it is loose or worn.

I've had the door panel off a number of times, but to be honest, I can't remember what the access is like to the glass.

Rex.

P.S. Your original description was fine! ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  9. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I can't see anything wrong with the trim in the photo. doesn't look dropped. Looks the same as mine and I've not got a problem with mine. Its not a great fit by design to start with as it bends away from the roof at the ends.
    A picture is more useful.

10. baobab68

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Thank you both for the valuable input. I agree Trustafox - that trim isn't a good fit. I'm already getting the knack of dropping the window a couple of mm so it's not a 'problem' per se, just annoying.

I will indeed compare the height of the two windows Rex. I might even take a pic of myself while I'm doing it.

Oh and btw Rex - doesn't your avatar icon just sum up the Copen-owning experience in a nutshell!!! I hope it doesn't reflect your experience with your little Dai.

11. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Funny you mentioned it, but some years ago a removed all but the first three silver letters on the rear window, so it really is a little "Dai" - and David is my middle name!