Underseal.. to be or not to be...??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DavidMatthewson, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DavidMatthewson

DavidMatthewson Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    A 1300 Copen in red of course!! That was the first - the second is blue/grey..

Based in Sussex in the UK
    I have a UK based 09 plate Copen which I love and whilst I only use it in the summer I'm wondering about getting it undersealed.

Do any of the Team have any views/experience/recommendations on this pls?

TiA

David

2. Attack chihuahua

Attack chihuahua Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    One off daihatsu copen
    2013 Vw beetle
    Get it under sealed as soon as possible, anything to help stop the risk of unwanted rust. :clap:

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    What the ant-sized dog said :D
    Do it!

DavidMatthewson likes this.
  4. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    I went mad with the stuff but I sleep like a baby at night. Rust would be the worst nightmare.
    I do, however, get an advisory in the MOT report:
    "Heavily under sealed"
    Let's put it this way. If you do it, you'd have one less thing to worry about. My view, though...

5. DavidMatthewson

Car(s):

Thanks - what 'flavour' did you go for? - and might you share about how much it cost pls? Wonder why the MoT guys seem not to like it... [perhaps they think it hides 'stuff'..??]

6. copenforbusiness

copenforbusiness Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen, CRV, Estima
    Uff, it was a couple of years ago... if it helps, I remember the cans were red and black. But I guess they are all the same.
    In terms of MOT guys, they said that it's nothing to do with not liking it, quite the contrary. But they have to reflect in the MOT that this was the case, so if anything goes wrong with stuff covered with the sealant, they have their backs covered (no pun intended) :blush:.
    Apparently this is the same with cars protected with trays underneath. They are not allowed to take them off to check for the usual problems, so they mention this in the advisories section. (It doesn't have a fault code, so no bad).

7. DavidMatthewson

Car(s):

Thanks - I've asked Waxoyl for a quote so we'll see what happens. I'll ping it back here. :)

8. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I had mine done not long after I got it last year. I paid an extra £25 for Dinitrol as the guy that did it reckoned it was less prone to dripping in hot weather ! I can’t say whether that’s right or not since Noddy has gone to a new home now.

Anyway, Noddy sailed through the MOT in January and there was no mention of underseal and the MOT tester was picky enough to put an advisory on a tyre valve which looked to me to be perfectly okay and never lost any pressure.

9. DavidMatthewson

Car(s):

Well, Waxoyl were quick in responding...

"The Waxoyl treatment includes the complete treatment of the under body, chassis, axles, suspension components along with door cavities and sill areas. The price of providing the service is £395 and includes vat and is payable by debit card on the collection of your car.

The Waxoyl treatment is completed by a fully trained operative, your vehicle will be fully cleaned, dried and prepared prior to its treatment which includes the removal of loose rust to ensure we apply treatment to a solid material and the removal of plastic arch liners if required. The Waxoyl is applied via compressor to ensure an even and thorough coating.

We will require your car from 9am-3pm we also have the capability to provide a collection and delivery service at a charge if required."

At under £400 that seems worth having - anything to stave off the rust!

I'll report back once this has been done in a few weeks...

Tony likes this.
  10. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I used Perma Film, a german product used in the marine industry to protect water ballast tanks (very toxic as long as it is not dried completely) instead of regular underseal.

I spray it every year with Fluid Film, a lanolin based anti-corrosion spray, this keeps the PermaFilm nice and pliable. The car is 10 years old now and there is hardly any rust on it.

I had a new side panel put in years ago and today on the lift I could see the difference between regular undersal and my stuff, because the regular underseal already started to peel :D I will try and correct it with some Perma Film tomorrow.

@BarnsleyRob : As I had the car on the lift I could see the bracket you were inquiring about a few weeks ago, it seems to be welded directly to the frame, but I could not make out what purpose it has

11. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Salieri Thanks. I think it must be some sort of shield for something that is vulnerable to kerb damage. It’s a pretty strong bit of metalwork so must’ve taken a decent knock to shift mine from the slight forward angle to where mine ended up. Still, it did it’s job obviously.

12. DavidMatthewson

Car(s):

Thanks for that.. much appreciated.

13. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @DavidMatthewson
    It depends where you are (a location in your signature would help). I had mine treated with Dinitrol at JR Classics near Doncaster. Great job, 3 years warranty, and no problems going through a subsequent MOT. AT
    T the first year inspection, they sorted some minor chips FOC and it was alll good to go. In all honesty, their
    Ain’t man isn’t great though so stick to Joes underseal work.

14. DavidMatthewson

Car(s):

Thanks - and good tip re sig - now added!

15. DavidMatthewson

Car(s):

OK, just had my 09 plated Copen Waxoyl'd yesterday near Orpington in Kent, UK for a shade under £400. Took about 4.5 hrs, and they seem to have done an excellent job. 3 year warranty so we'll see what happens. 2018-07-28 12_23_46-Job_3388.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png 2018-07-28 12_23_34-Job_3388.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png

Pics are the 'before' and 'after' shots..

16. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    They did that quick. Mine was in for a week for the underseal and another 3-4 days for the paint. Still, it looks like it’s been prepared and well treated although I’m guessing that exhaust will stink for a while with the overspray.