1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under seat subwoofer

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by honeyjew, Jan 20, 2010.

1. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in installing an under seat subwoofer in their Copen. Firstly Im wondering if one would fit, my seats are the leather heated type. Secondly, would it be best to put it under the passenger or the driver seat.. or maybe get two?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Tringhenge

Tringhenge Copenworld Pioneer

Hiya

I am no expert, but I think subs are normally long throw (i.e. deep) and there is not much room under the seats.

3. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    Ohhh, please don't let Wullufdude get hold of a sub - the Yellow Peril will look like an exploded diagram all over the garage floor...

4. JoshVan

JoshVan Copenworld Newbie

I did ask my audio shop, the assistant look undernear the seat and comment no way a sub-woofer could fit in.
    What I did was putting a active sub-woofer under the leg-room on the passenger side.
    as the copen is a 2 seated, we do need a big sub-woofer, the music turns out well.
    The only problem was I didn't want to secure the active-sub by screws on the floor so I just let it lie down and cover it with carpet. It tends to move after a heavy blast.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Coming from the Cappuccino world a popular upgrade was to fit a;
    Ripspeed active subwoofer PSR-135A
    it just fitted under the seats. I took mine out before selling the Cappo.
    I was hoping it would fit under the seats buts it's a no go.
    I'm going to try fitting under the passenger dash somewhere too. The heavy duty style of Velcro should hold it in place well.

6. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I've managed to fit a 8" free air sub in the back wall :D so the boot acts like the enclosure.
    Tried a 10" first, but I couldn't find a position that missed the hidden cross brace behind the rear wall and did not foul the roof when it was retracted.

I made a new back wall board out of 11mm MDF and spray painted it, so I could keep the original (with the pocket) in one piece so it could be re-installed if ever I sold the car :rolleyes:, or if I made a mistake when cutting the hole - (more likely!) The amp is next to the sub behind the seat.

[​IMG]

Rex

7. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

That looks good Rex - what speaker and amp have you go in there? Oh, and how does it sound? :)

I've been planning to get a sub put in for a long time, but have yet to work out exactly what I want. This looks like it could be just the kind of thing I could copy (or at least get someone else to copy for me, Ha!)

8. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Oooh, Sorry for the long delay in replying (I must look the new posts more carefully).

The speaker was a 10" Pioneer from ebay. Not too sure on the model number, but it was quite old, but never used. It was a 'free air' model. I'm no expert, but I understand this to mean it was not designed to go in a box, no problem for us, as it's going in the boot space.

The amplifier was a cheap thing, my Son brought back from a Walmart in Florida some years ago and never used - If it's left in the garage too long, then it is fair game. [He did also bring back to 12" sub in a box, but I couldn't fit the 12" in] ;)

How does it sound? Well two things,
    1) When I first put it in, it seem to create more of a thump than a rounded bass sound. Talking to a few people, they told me the speaker may need to be 'run-in'. I've never heard of this, but I downloaded from the internet some MP3 test files - low frequency stuff, and after playing this for an hour (no I was not in the car), the sound got better. Maybe because the speaker was old, the foam part around the cone had become stiff?

2) I also installed a switch to swap the phase of the speaker (so when operated speaker + lead goes to - speaker connection and - to +). I found with the roof down, it sounds better with the switch in one position and the other position is better with the roof up.

All in all, I'm happy with the sound. I'd didn't want something to blast the neighbours out, just some nice bass with the roof down (or up).

Rex.