1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK 660 ECU Options?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Jim, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota GT86
    Do the DSport ECUs etc. work on a UK Copen?

Are there any other plug and play options for a UK car?

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    You might ask @welz
    He has got a 660 Copen, put an HKS turbocharger and a blow off valve in it, which did increase power.
    But I think its still the original ECU, so maybe you do not need one

3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    From what I've read, the D-Sport ECU only works on the Japanese Copens. Also, from memory, the fuel needs to be, like, 98 octane ALL THE TIME.

I dunno about the UK, but in Ireland "petrol is petrol" - there is no choice of "normal", super, premium, etc.

4. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    @Nick thats right..and much trouble comes with it too.

@phil you forgot the hks exhaust :think:

with hks positive : more power..

negative: more petrol , must changed engine oel to 5 w40 , hotter engine..in summer water can go to 100 and oel 100 C. I always use the aircondition to cooling down the engine.

and spent a lot of money..:oops:

Salieri likes this.
  5. Jim

Jim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota GT86
    High octane petrol is easy to get in the UK, I have to run the GT86 on super unleaded so I'm used to that already.

What did you do about remapping the ECU to suit the HKS parts etc.? I'm kind of expecting to need to swap to a stand alone ECU unless there's a piggy back ECU that would do the trick.

Have you upgraded the intercooler and radiator or are you still using the OEM ones?

It's a shame the JDM tuner ECUs don't swap in as that's an easy way to ~85bhp to get me going.

6. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    no remapping used for the hks parts,
    after a time or maybe 2000 km, the ecu values were adjusted to the changed parts. Factory reset before.

no upgrade because in germany it is critical change motorparts without loosing MOT (Tüv). But your right, to do it right, I think, you need to change intercooler and radiator too. Cooling the engine.

link to loader:

HKS - DX SPORTS TURBINE KIT

Salieri likes this.
  7. Jim

Jim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota GT86
    Ah the dreaded TÜV certification problem! Thankfully that's not an issue in the UK as long as it's roadworthy in the eyes of the local test station.

Do you have any idea how much power you were getting with the DX turbine kit and the stock ECU?

8. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
  9. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
  10. grunt

grunt Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Audi A4
    2003 Copen 659
    the Dsport ECU works fine in an AU 660. No one could ever confirm it - so I bought one anyway.

Best $$$ I spent on it before I sold it

11. marnob

marnob Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Hi Grant, so you sold your Copen!
    Ya didn't take the D-Sport ECU out before it went then? :)

12. Jim

Jim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota GT86
    From the little I've managed to work out Australia got JDM spec cars? The UK ones have OBDII which mean the D-Sport style ECUs don't plug and play?

13. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    That's right, we can't use it. Guy on the german forums apparently got it to work by replacing all his wiring n electronics with the jap versions but that seems a bit OTT

14. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    you get although lot of problems with it too. no
    immobilizer ,doorlock and a lot of work.:D..buy it and :cry:

15. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    There was an ad on one of the Auction sites in Japan that would remap your ECU to D Sport type specs for 35,000Yen.
    You could choose immobiliser, with or without etc.
    Haven't seen it for a while but I reckon it is still there.
    A lot cheaper than buying a D Sport one and might be perfect for UK models seeing as they don't work anyway?
    You had two choices.
    Send your own cars one there, 10,000 less, or they would send you one already done for you to fit.
    I haven't done that but have thought about it.

16. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    If you want to make real reliably power you need to go for a programmable ECU or piggyback system that can be programmed on the dyno.
    D-sport ECU is basically a standard ECU with the rev limit raised and the boost limit raised.

17. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    I spent many hours looking for software and a cable that would allow you to upload a remapped file to the ECU in the Copen but came up
    blank.
    In other words copy the original file, get it remapped and then upload it back to the ECU.
    I tried some different cables and software from my laptop but couldn't get any to work.
    No problem with my Audi. Could take a copy and even upload the file as well as change settings.
    The place above I mentioned do remap your ECU. Was a little hard to understand what adjustments they made as the translation is tricky but
    they did change the rev limit and boost.
    Probably why some just use the HKS piggy back or the likes?

18. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    You cannot remap the Copen chip via ODB2. It has to be taken out and 'bench flashed' with specialized tools. I've seen the site you mentioned and considered it myself.

One of our other Aussie members had his remapped on a dyno by Unichip, said it cost him $2300 but now they know how, it'd probably be around $1800, or about £1000 english for us - assuming Unichip UK can get the info from Australian Unichip.

Unichip on Aussie Copen

19. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Yeah thats what I found out in the end. Its a shame really.
    Yes I saw that post on the Uni Chip.
    The cost of getting some more horsepower from the Uni Chip is just way to high for the "bang for your buck" for me?
    That is half what I paid for my whole car!
    Can't justify it so I am left with the tuning option from Japan or D Sport ECU which is approx 50,000Yen depending.
    I have done all the other Mods for increase in horsepower.
    Left are ECU, BOV, and boost controller.:)

20. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I looked into the D-Sport ECU before I went to Unichip. I was never able to find any real info about them and the only English review I found wasn't great. I'd love to see an actual dyno sheet on an owners Copen. I'm always sus on dyno charts and power claim by manufactures too. They are listed to work on 06-08 cars on most sites too. They are listed as 85000yen on most sites which makes it a little over $1000au after shipping. 50000 yen must be 2nd hand.

Unichip will be about $2k for a 20% power boost that's pretty good bang for buck on these motors. My tuner tried increasing boost but said the turbo is just too small and boost would drop off at higher revs anyway.

The fact is to make any real power gain you need a programable ECU and bigger turbo.