1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Question + Speed and Gears?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Bronaldo, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen Vivid 0.7
    Hey,

Sorry if it's a silly question, hope it's not.

How have you found it sourcing new tyres when needed? Are they fairly easy to source or do you have to buy one with the alloy in them again? Can't they just take the old tyre off and put it back on your alloy?

Have they been expensive?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but the last one is:

What gear do you normally drive in for 20mph, 30mph and 40mph?

2. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Tyres - I got mine from the local F1Autocentre (a chain like Kwik Fit but much better service and prices) - I pre-ordered online, just under £50 each for Bridgestone tyres, and then called in a couple of days later for fitting.
    It seems that most tyre fitters won't hold them in stock but they can get them from their suppliers within a day or two so not a worry :cool:

3. lyndon

lyndon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    diahatsu copen and a mini clubman
    I bought 4 bridgestones for just under £200 unfitted in York, as I had the wheels refurbished and changed all 4. It had some cheaper tyres on when I bought it and the rears looked past there best. Handles great now.

4. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    tyres about £50 from tyre place with a day or 2 notice to order them in.

Petrol engines are typically most economical around 1500-2000 revs, so for cruising/economy keep it there. Depending on circumstances of course, so if you expect to be wanting more acceleration for overtaking or having fun around the lanes then of course you'll go higher.
    In my 1.3 I'm changing into 4th at about 30mph if just pootling along in traffic.

5. Dave Hardwick Engineering

Dave Hardwick Engineering Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    VX220 Turbo
    I've just purchased two Bridgestone RE040 they were £87.00 delivered from Camskill. I have tyre fitting and balancing equipment so I do that myself.

Dave.

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I need two new front tyres and have had a good look around the web. I found the site below had the best choice but for Bridgestone Potenza's blackcircles.com were the cheapest at £57.49 for a fully fitted tyre at a fitting centre of your choice.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

7. Bronaldo

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen Vivid 0.7
    Thanks to everyone who has replied regarding tyres. Think I'll have to replace one soon so cheers for easing my worries.

Be good to get more info on the gears at speeds? Just don't want to feel like I'm in the wrong gear most of the time.

2nd - Roughly 10-20mph

3rd - 20-25 ish

4th 30 40 zone

8. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Sounds about right to me :)

9. Bronaldo

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen Vivid 0.7
    Thank you ever so much!

Phew! :D

10. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    You know, in the year that Neville and I have been getting to know each other, I hadn't really concentrated on matching revs/gears/speed - these posts have given me a new aspect of Copening to investigate.

However, I was perturbed to find that I NEVER spend any time at all in that economical rev range of 1500-2000! I found myself pootling at 40mph in top gear if I'm to keep it at the ideal range, and if there's one thing that Neville isn't, that's a pootler!

So I have to accept that the reason I teamed up with him in the first place is for the sheer fun of driving and, like it or not, that just isn't going to be in the most economical rev range.

Heyho, at least my Honda Jazz is a calming influence .... aahhhh! ;)