Top Speed on a Copen

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by jmaboko@gmail.com, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jmaboko@gmail.com

jmaboko@gmail.com Copenworld Newbie

Hi All

The other morning I wanted to see how fast my 2006 1.3L Copen could go.
    On the highway I could reach a max speed of 170km/hr. Although I max a max speed on the clock of 200km/hr.

I need to know if Copens are limited to 170km/hr?
    Are the ways of bypassing this speed limitation?

Joseph

2. CA49000

CA49000 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    '00 Honda Ferio SiR (Track Car)
    '06 Daihatsu Copen (Daily)
    '10 Daihatsu Sirion 1.5 Sport (Family Car)
    i think that is the top speed. But my question is, why would you want to go so fast? Its only a 1.3 and you would harm the engine try to consistently run those speeds. Rather take in through a pass with roof down, its so much more fun than doing top speed runs. Just my opinion, use it dont use it.

3. CA49000

Car(s):
    i think that is the top speed. But my question is, why would you want to go so fast? Its only a 1.3 and you would harm the engine trying to consistently run those speeds. Rather take in through a pass with roof down, its so much more fun than doing top speed runs. Just my opinion, use it dont use it.

4. CA49000

Car(s):
    sorry for double post.

5. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    I know of two guys who actually tried to push their engines and they literally blew up - one with the turbo exploding, and the other with an engine "crack" as he described it - not good to push that boundary - ive had mne up to 135 kmh - and in such a small car - it really doesnt feel that safe::

6. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Really scared after reading all your comments.
    :eek:

You shouldn't worry too much, I never heard of a engine blow up because of speed (at least from german copen owners).
    But very important is that you leave little turbo to idle for some minutes to cool down after a heavy run, turbo-timers help to remind you.

Back to top speed:
    Reported speeds are 207 km/h (meter) / 190 km/h (GPS) for the 660cc and 210 km/h (meter) / 192 km/h (GPS), see pics (all EU spec Copens).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (c) jens87 of forum.micro-roadster.de

EU-spec Copens are not limited, but having bought a Copen from the UK it took some runs on the motorway to "free" the engine and reach higher top-speed.

But you are definitely right, Copen is most fun on winding country roads where top-speed does not matter.

Andreas

7. jmaboko@gmail.com

jmaboko@gmail.com Copenworld Newbie

Thanks for the replies.... I'll stick to crusing speeds with my roof down instead !!!:)

8. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Is that requirement of letting the turbo idle after high speeds real?
    Ive done over 200,000kms in mine in australia, and i cant remember a time of ever idling the engine after speeds. I do a lot of high speed country driving.
    Recently had the turbo looked at by toyota, and they said it was in good condition - I have a manual for a nissan turbo in front of me which says it isnt required. so im just curious

9. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Well, at least it is explicitly stated in the german version of the owner's manual, so I better stick to it.
    ;)

And most of the german Copen owners who blew their turbo also said they were not aware of this requirement.

Andreas

10. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    It may be just me, but why would you want to drive at that speed? :think:

Who's going to see you driving at that speed ;)

Better to drive slower with the top down and enjoy all those admiring looks :cool:

11. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    On the subject of letting the turbo cool down, I used to have a Nissan Silvia Turbo (1.8l). Being much younger (and foolish) then I used to drive it hard when the cops weren't looking. Somebody mentioned this turbo cooling down thing and their suggestion was to try driving it hard at night, then stop the car and open the bonnet and look at the turbo. I tried it and the thing was glowing a dull red - I could only see it glow at night. After that, I used to let the engine run for around 10 minutes at idle before switching it off to let the turbo cool down.
    It's entirely your choice, but considering the cost of a replacement turbo, I would seriously consider doing the same.