Timing chain tensioner for JB-DET 660cc

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by tictac, Sep 27, 2022.

1. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    Does anyone know the part number and commonality / availability of timing chain tensioner for JB-DET 660cc engine? Mine has a minor rattle and as a precaution I would like to replace the tensioner.

2. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Tictac

Before you take the tensioner out it would be prudent to change the engine oil and maybe do a flush as the chain tension plunger relies on oil pressure. Is it only noisy from cold start up? Does the sound continue when hot? I have hunted hard and found the chain tensioner plunger is on www.isicar.com in Tokyo through Ebay for the price of £36.00 part no 13591-97201. You should be able to access Ebay in Australia. Hope this goes someway to solving your problem.

3. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    Thanks GuzziMan. Car has 150,000 km and I change the oil frequently - every 5000 km - but I have not used an oil flush product so I can try that for next oil change. Current oil is 10W-40 which is one of the oil grade variants per the Australian owner manual. I notice it on cold starts, not as noticeable when warm. On the isicar ebay site they don't have a part picture and the item name is a tensioner arm ..... so is that part number the tensioner or something else it pushes onto? I will send them a message to ask.

4. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Tictac

I would not drive the car anymore but I would take out chain tensioner plunger. Do not move the engine after removal as it will affect the timing. Information regarding this is in the service manual 9842 section B2-15 and Service manual 9845 section B-15.

Judging by the pictures in the manual of ‘Chain tensioner plunger’ it may be possible that it is a serviceable part. Not normally done by garages but if it can be disassembled maybe the seals can be replaced if it has any. The other thing I would do is take that part to a Toyota service station. They should have access to Daihatsu service part manual to see if the component is used in other vehicles as they are part of the same group.

5. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    It's very hard to find decent 10W-40 oils. Most of them are not optimal for this engine. I would use 5W-40 or 0W-40 with a good manufacturer approval (like MB-Approval 229.5).
    This is just an example of what I would buy (I'm from Germany, so I don't know about where to get oil for cheap, you might get it cheaper elsewhere):
    Penrite HPR 5 SAE 5W-40 Engine Oil 5L | eBay

Are you using a good quality oil filter? Cheap oil filters do not have an oil return stop valve, which can cause rattles because the oil pressure takes longer to build up.

GuzziMan likes this.
  6. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    Thanks GuzziMan and Salieri for your information. I will go for an oil flush then 5W type oil next, and see if I can take out the tensioner / service it.