1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing chain or Belt

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by davydha, Jul 18, 2016.

1. davydha

davydha Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    fiat lunar motorhome nissan quashqai ntec copen 660
    Hi, just got a copen 660cc with 48k, there is a noise coming from around the timing cover . Most of the sites i see state the copen has a timing belt fitted for USA/AUS models, does the european model have a chain, the noise seems to appear after I accelerate and then lift of the gas, which makes me think it is a chain rattle, anyone else any ideas of the cause, advice would be much appreciated .

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Hello and welcome,
    every copen has a timing chain as far as I know. If your engine code is JB-DET, it has a chain.

It can be dangerous, if the chain is too lose and skips a tooth, you could bend a valve and risk engine failure. You should get it checked out. Maybe the timing chain needs replacing.

3. davydha

Car(s):
    Thank you Salieri, it is the JD-DET I will get it checked, I believe it it very costly to replace the chain, but if needs must it will have to be done Kind Regards

4. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    As above.
    660 JB-DET has a chain, mine is a little noisy for the first minute when cold so I suspect there is an oil pressure powered hydraulic chain tensioner, the tensioner will most likely have a low friction drive face so losts of opportunity for wear and sticture in various places.
    Oil flush and change may just fix her up if its just a sticky tensioner.
    3K oil changes seem the recommendation for the 660.
    (Without prejudice, I'm not an expert :) )

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    The 660 has a chain that should last the lifetime of the engine. However, if you're in any way doubtful get it looked at / replaced... last thing you want is a broken engine :)

6. Salieri

Car(s):
    I have heard of timing chain problems quite often. Saturday I looked at a yaris with a friend for him to buy, it had the Daihatsu K3-VE Engine and only 65k km, still the timing chain was rattling pretty bad, so he did not buy it.
    Oil changes are very important when maintaining a copen, every 5000km (3000 miles) or half a year for the 660 model. Only use 0W40, 5W40 or 5W30 synthetic oils with ACEA A3/B4 profile.

7. davydha

Car(s):
    Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated

8. davydha

Car(s):
    T
    hank you Salieri, I will get it flushed out and use the oil suggested, and hope it makes a difference Regards Davydha.

9. Salieri

Car(s):