Timing belt change on a 1.3 Copen

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Barry Copen, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    I see that the service book recommends a change every 30,000 miles. I was wondering how strictly I should follow this guidance and if so, is the idea to buy a kit from ebay or similar and then get a mechanic to to do the work? From a brief look, the cost of a kit varies from £50 to £200. I'd welcome any views or comments. Thanks in anticipation.

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Hi Barry,

I didn't think the timing belt needed changing and 30k is very low for most engines. I've checked my manual and don't see the timing belt change mentioned. There are also several posts on here on the subject which from memory conclude that the 1300cc is a lifetime belt. Are you sure you haven't mis- read it ?

Barry Copen likes this.
  3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Copen has no timing belt :D

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    The 660cc engine has a timing chain, which pretty much lasts forever. The 1.3L engine however, may use a belt - I'm not 100% too sure if it uses a belt or a chain.

Most timing belts should be changed at about 50k miles. Don't go for the cheapest ones. The cost will mostly be labour anyway.

5. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    Thanks very much for the comments. I'm as sure as I can be that the 1.3 has a timing chain, but looking again at the 'Service & Warranties Booklet' which came with the car, it says on p.12 (but under the heading 'Schedule for SEVERE driving') that the 'belt' should be changed every 50,000km (30,000 miles). As the car's only worth about £3.5k (maximum!), & it's had a quiet life, I think I'll go with Number6's comment and do another 20k and then have a think about it.

6. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I'm not sure what manual you have but there isn't a page 12 as such in the version I have. The manual is sectioned so section 12 does cover maintenance but the pages are 12-1, 12-2 etc. I've checked again and even the drive belt only requires checking rather than replacement. Either way, I'd enjoy another 20k miles and worry about it later.

Edit. Are you referring to 12-6 ?

7. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Now keep in mind, if it *is* a belt and YOU have never replaced it, there's no harm in replacing it to know exactly 100% when it was last done. Very common, at least over here, for a seller / dealer to write a fake belt change date on the timing belt cover.

8. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    The service manual is in the resources section. If the 1300 had a belt the procedure for changing it would be in there I'd think.

9. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Both copen do not have a Timing belt, however, they do have a Serpentine/fan belt.
    This might Need changing, on the 1.3 you can see it on the left side of the engine bay.
    Its easy to change