Thinking of Buying a Copen

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dom, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    Hi, I'm new to Copen's but I'm entertaining the idea of buying one I just have a few concerns and questions.
    I've read the buying guide on here and found it very useful, I'm fairly certain I want a 660 but I would also consider a 1.3.
    A few questions I have are,
    What fuel economy do people get in the real world, I primarily drive in slow moving traffic on my commute and my very thirsty Saab is appalling, anything will be an improvement but I'd like to know realistic figures.
    It's hard to tell how big the boot really is, with the roof up what can you expect to get in it?
    Most of my driving is in the city or on A roads but I tend to hit the motorway a couple of times a month for 50+ mile journeys, will this be a chore in a Copen? Can they keep up with traffic or will it be struggling on inclines? Is engine/road/wind noise intrusive, I understand its not a cruiser and won't be nearly as quiet as my Saab but what are peoples opinions on it?

Thanks,
    Dom

Ludwig likes this.
  2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    I drive a 659cc Copen.

1. Fuel Economy
    I get about 39-41 MPG in the real world. My driving is mostly in town with some country roads and duel carriage ways.

2. Boot.
    With the roof up I can get my school bag which is full of junk in there and still have lots of space left. There is a video online that shows you can get a golf bag with golf clubs in there...Just.

3. Motorway driving.
    At 70MPH the engine will be doing about 4.5K RPM. Engine and Wind noise is loud at those speeds. I have driven 2 hours on the motorway on my trip to Silverstone and the noise will likely bother most people, but I was going somewhere exciting so I didn't mind it. (Also I just really like engine sounds)
    Also since they're doing 4.5K RPM at that speed, the turbo is well in boost so it can keep up fine in my experience. My Copen had no issues whatsoever on that journey.

4. Hills.
    It depends on how steep it is and how long the climb is, as well as how fast you're going.
    On shorter inclines at higher speeds there isn't too much issue, but most of the time you will probably need to drop down a gear.
    Also as an example, on my way to work on a country road there is a steep-ish hill that doesn't last very long. Usually I just go up it with no problem at 50-60MPH in 5th gear as the hill is also on a bend. But this one time there was a slow tractor ahead of me going about 15-20MPH when I got to the hill. I had to use 2nd to get up it. At one point I almost used 1st but I managed in second. (usually I can use 3rd at 20MPH)

5. My opinions on the car.
    I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!
    No seriously, I LOVE Copens.
    They are just so much fun to drive and they are so adorable! :3
    And I like the sounds they make too!
    Only problem I have with them is rust. They rust easily if not taken care of!
    Oh and it can be a pain to find certain parts if you ever need them, but they seem to be quite reliable so hopefully this shouldn't be so much of a problem.

I hope my reply helps! :D

Ludwig and Tony like this.
  3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I have the 1.3, have owned it for about 7 years now, still love it

I get around 6.5l/100km, which is about 43mpg in dinosaur measurements. It takes a bit more in dense city traffic.
    Storage is good as the boot is quite wide (also there is the passenger seat). I have no issues doing grocery shopping, but visiting IKEA is next to impossible, but that's what rentals are for
    Have done many trips which were > 60 miles (~100km) one way, had no issues. I usually drive a lot quicker than the others, up to 180km/h (110 mph) you can keep up nicely and are by no means a burden on the others (they might be on you though :D).
    It is a bit bumpy and not as comfortable or quiet as a merc, but I do not mind at all.

But as afron said, you must take good care of it, keep up with maintenance and rust protection. Otherwise you might be disappointed with the car and the car will be disappointed in you :D It helps if you love the car

AFR0N1 likes this.
  4. Copen_NW_UK

Copen_NW_UK Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 659cc Turbo (L880K)
    Nissan Qashqai
    Hi and welcome

I have the 660cc turbo and found it comfortable driving on motorways and in and around town. I purchased mine last month and currently fixing it up in preparation for next summer. Like the others have said rust is the main issue, mine has its fair share which I am tackling bit by bit.

If you do go ahead and buy one check all the areas prone to rust and be prepared to spend some extra cash on underseal as will need protection from the winter weather and road salt.

One thing I will say is that once you have bought one this is the forum to visit, lots of info to help you.

5. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    Thanks for your info guys, very helpful. Providing I can find a rust free-ish one should it just be a case of regular rust prevention? I've had rusty old Fiat's so I'm acquainted with rusty cars... Considering its so tiny it shouldn't be very difficult to get it up on some axle stands and get underneath it.
    I can happily service the engine regularly as I've always done basic servicing myself so I should be able to stick to the 3000mi intervals.

I've seen this question asked here before but I wanted to check, the scope for performance upgrades is limited for the UK from what I can tell? Seeing as the ECU retards the timing to keep the HP lower than the kei car spec you'd think a remap could iron that out for more power but seems unavailable in the UK?

Ludwig likes this.
  6. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    On JDM Copen's you could just install a D Sport ecu and that would bypass the kei regulations and get you about 80HP or so, but UK Copen's have a different ecu (probably due to emissions) and the D sport ecu doesn't work with them from what I've heard.
    You can always take it to a shop to get it re maped.

The ECU, turbo and intake seem to be the most restrictive parts. Changing all of those can get you 100+ HP from what I've seen.
    Also did you know that the JB-DET (Copen engine) is more or less just a updated version of the JB-JL, and the engine used in the 118HP Storia X4 /Sirion X4 was the JC-DET, which is basically just a bored up JB-JL?

If your willing to spend enough money, you can even get 150+ out of this engine from what I've read on some Japanese sites.
    (I made a post about it here--> 200HP Copen!!! (Not Clickbait) )

The main problem with the UK Copen's is the ecu and having to get most aftermarket parts from Japan. But if you can get round that, there is a lot of potential.

7. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    Wow, thanks again this forum has already been a wealth of information. Its something I may look into if I find I'd like a bit more ooomph but I'll have to test drive one first! I assume a good intake and perhaps and better exhaust wouldn't hurt, I love intake noise especially on turbocharged engines so that'd probably be the first mod I would likely do. I probably wouldn't be looking for more than 80-90hp, I think that would suffice and give the front wheels still a fighting chance of some grip. Has anyone fitted wider wheels out of interest, I know the car is tiny but 165/50 seems tiny!

Ludwig likes this.
  8. PaulGee

PaulGee Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Daihatsu Materia 1.5
    Honda CRV (MkII)
    The 1.3 is more an everyday car as the servicing is more spaced out and you don't have the worry of a turbo. Fuel economy is slightly better than the 660cc and we see mid 40s MPG with no effort or nun like driving.

Road tax is £140 compared to £195 I believe on 660cc.

I've had 3 years of hassle free motoring with the 1.3

9. AFR0N1

Car(s):
    In Japan the Copen could be optioned with a limited slip differential, also company like D-Sport offer 1 way and 1.5 way LSDs which will help put the power down better when cornering.
    I don't know myself what the biggest size of tire would fit the Copen.

10. Anji

Anji Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2006 660 Copen/Ford Grand CMax
    Hi Dom, I am new to Copen ownership and this is my take as a new owner, and everyday use. MPG low 40s with short town driving, longer A & B roads with the occasional short blast down duel carriageways. Boot space, I take a trolley bag to work and that fits in the boot fine, with space beside. I think I'm lucky (or deaf) I don't find the noise intrusive, and being a hard top it does cut out a lot of the wind noise suffered with soft tops. The ride is a little firm, but the seats are supportive and comfortable. The car is low, getting in and out with some decorum takes practice! The cabin is fine, all the switch gear is neatly laid out and accessible, leg room is fine, headroom, if your pushing 6 foot or over I wouldn't recommend it. As an everyday car for purely commutes, or weekend fun it is a great little car. I am sure I am still in the honeymoon period but so far I would still recommend this car. Parts, that's hubbies job. He hasn't found it the easiest but is building a list of places to get bits and, of course there are still Diahatsu dealers out there, and already said, this site and the FB site (can i say that?) are helpful and, essential. Whatever you do try before you buy, and if possible try several.

Rainbow 2006 660 turbo

Ludwig likes this.
  11. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    Thanks for your advice. I'm only 24 so the low down getting in/out shouldn't be an issue for some years we hope. I am 5'11" so I might have to get in one first to see if I can fit! Be a shame if that stopped me. I think I've warmed to the idea suitably that I'm certainly going to test drive a few and go from there. I'm not looking to buy for a few months which means prices might fall a bit during the winter and I've got plenty of time to find a good one, I'm in no rush.

Anji likes this.
  12. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    Does the car need to be stopped for the roof to work? I'm assuming so but wanted to check.
    Are high milers a concern? Aside from usual wear and tear would a clutch be due at around 80k miles?

13. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    The car needs to be standing with the parking brake engaged for the roof to work

High miles are not a concern if the car is well taken care of, as Daihatsu develops lots of engines for Toyota vehicles, especially for the Aygo and Yaris models, which have a good reputation for reliability.

AFR0N1 likes this.
  14. Anji

Anji Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2006 660 Copen/Ford Grand CMax
    What Salieri said. In regard to the clutch, that depends on PO's if they ride the clutch then 80k might be time to replace, but if driven and maintained I wouldn't have thought it would need replacing that early, but as with most things, there is always a definite maybe.

15. MartynG

MartynG Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Dom I am 57 and 6'2" and I don't find any issues with driving or getting on and out of a Copen. So think you should find any problems, hope you find one that suits you.

Ludwig and Dom like this.
  16. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    Well I'm going to be buying a car next month, at the latest beginning of December. I'm not 100% set on a Copen but it is my front runner, only due to having 2 seats. I'm going to test drive a Copen, an Alfa 147 & a Mazda 2 Sport. All quite different cars!
    Another question that has occurred to me is what are parts like? Being quite rare in the UK are urgent parts a pain? For example if the windshield got cracked, can you get a replacement in a timely matter? I assume basic service parts aren't too hard, coil packs and the likes?
    Thanks

17. creeps

creeps Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    once you test drive one you will be smitten. you soon get used to the rattling , great fun when you can drive with the lid down , makes you smile before you hit the road. As they are uncommon they also tend to draw looks and comments. All in all a fun little car. I love them so much I'm on my second. Ive had the 650 turbo version and now have a 1.3 , though I must say I miss the sound of the turbo kicking in . They also hold the road like glue . My first car was involved in an accident and it took over a month to get the part from Japan which was a door hinge . The insurance said had they known they would have written it off, though had it not been through the insurance I'm sure the part could have been found on an auction site . Good luck in your car hunting !

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Ludwig likes this.
  18. Brandon101

Brandon101 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Audi A1, Subaru Forester
    Looking to buy one myself, anyone got any idea what the best oil filter to get is? as im going to be doing about 400 miles a week using it and i want to keep on top of the oil changes, and i don't fancy taking the entire bumper off every time haha! Its a 0.6 L one as well :) Any help is appreciated!

Ludwig likes this.
  19. l880k

l880k Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen L880K
    I use a Blue Print oil filter every time, same size as Daihatsu filter and no need to take bumper off, just need a small hand to fit through the engine mount ;)

Ludwig likes this.
  20. Brandon101

Brandon101 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Audi A1, Subaru Forester
    oh brilliant! Ive found one which is 50mm in diameter like the original ones so should fit fine, where do you get a new sump washer from? or you wouldnt happen to know what size it is?