1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dry Boot (does it exist?)

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Your Majesty, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Lots of people with leaks/puddles/condensation in the boot (including myself and another Copen owner whose car I'm familiar with), and it seems that it is often a mystery as to how it gets there.:think:
    So here's a question aimed only at UK members...

Is there anyone who has NOT had water in their boot?

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I don't have water in my boot.

3. Lars

Lars Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Problem solved !

I had water in the rear part of the boot (under the jack), too, and couldn't find out where it got in.
    Then I got this tip from a member of the German copen board: the beading of the two panels, the boot sealing is sitting on, has some gaps. So the water creeps up under the sealing (capillary action) and runs down into the boot between the panels. In my case that was behind the rear lights on both sides.
    So if you have the "water in the boot problem", pull the boot sealing and look for gaps between the panels. If you seal those gaps, there's a good chance your boot will stay dry.
    You may also find some rust there .... :-((

Hope this helps,
    Lars

4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I've not had any, only as condensation on the lid out skin. I don't go in the boot often though.

At present I have a moisture absorber in place but again not been inspecting on a regular basis.

5. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    My car is kept in the GARAGE this time of year :). She hates the cold and damp weather :D. But i did find evidence of water getting in the boot under the jack area when we first got the car , since then she has been kept in the garage so i may still have the problem :think:

6. Lotuseater

Lotuseater Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    I would mirror the comments made by Trustafox:

Only condensation on the underside of the boot lid, and also using a moisture absorber.

Regards.

7. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Mine has always been dry so far :p

8. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    UPDATE: been in the boot today while on my modding frenzy. Took a photo. Condensation just on the outer skin where the large gaps are. No trace in the bottom of the boot.

If you do have water in there, there is a rubber grommet you can easily remove. Right hand side just in front of the electronics.

Attached Files:

9. PauliePaul

PauliePaul Copenworld Regular

thats nothing... mines dripping wet all over the underneath of boot lid though its a good job its alley otherwise they be rusty like crazy in alot of copens

10. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I was not trying to boast by the amount of water. Just to show how mine is.

11. piccolaninfa

piccolaninfa Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    My bot is full of condensation,who knows if there us a material that I can use to insulate it from the inside? The thing us that I can't just stick it to the boot because is full of cables that goes in there, did someone try?

12. copencat

copencat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    hopefully soon a new grey copen!
    no water in boot but mad condensation so ordered 2 different sorts of dehumidifier - going to see if it works out. take pics before take pics after. I have already put down a rubber mat in the boot to catch the condensation drips - man i hate the smell of old water.