1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daihatsu UK Saga Continues..... [Updated]

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by copenworld, Dec 16, 2009.

1. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Copenworld member "Rex" has received a letter from a Newport Daihatsu dealer stating:

It is with deep regret I have to inform you of Daihatsu's decision to withdraw from the UK market due to currency pressures on the Japanese Yen.

The current position relates to car sales only. All warranty, servicing and parts supply will continue to be supported by us as normal...

Going forwards, we are unable to supply new Daihatsu products...

We can assure that your vehicle part exchange will be unaffected against any of our products and hope our new exciting range of cars will be of interest to you in the future.​

It remains to be seen whether this is one dealer who has taken up the rumoured offer to cease their Daihatsu franchise, or whether Daihatsu really is fully withdrawing from the UK.

Daihatsu themselves are still publicly stating that this is a temporary hold on imports rather than complete withdrawal from the UK, but the full position remains unclear.

Update: A user on copenownersclub.org.uk, has posted to say "I work for Daihatsu, but can't say too much else other than they have withdrawn and I am afraid won't be supplying to the UK again under the Daihatsu name". Does this mean we might be seeing the Toyota Copen for sale in future???

2. becky

becky Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen!!!!
    This the the same letter from the same dealer that I received on Saturday.

3. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks - I did wonder if it was the same dealer!