The Copen is a Classic car

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Your Majesty, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    I keep reading about the Copen being a classic car and not an everyday car - this is very confusing :think:
    E-type, Healey, DB5, etc - these are Classic cars but they are many years old and from a different age. The Copen may well be a classic in 20 years time but that is a long way off. It's a modern car, albeit a rare car that is as reliable and capable as any other.
    SORN? Storage? - Words not to be associated with a Copen :mad: - the Copen is a car to be used every day. Sure it needs to be looked after but it doesn't need to be treated like a vintage classic. Both myself and the other half have Copens and no other cars - it's a joy to drive every day, it's as fine as anything else in the winter (with the cosy heated seats, abs and the air-con) and a real hoot on a dry day :)
    I really feel that when I'm very old and crumbly, I'll be able to say with pride that I drove a Copen, rather than kept a Copen for special occasions.
    - There! I've said my piece! :)

2. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    it's my only car too - drive it to work, have no choice.
    and great fun it is too.

3. Tegan SA

Tegan SA Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2006 Copen 1,3
    2013 BMW 118i auto
    Yep! same here. Copen is my daily commute and BMW is used weekends for shopping and ferrying granddaughter etc. The more I drive my red Copen, the more I want to drive her.

4. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    ditto. 60 miles/day commuting.
    In an ideal world I'd like to keep it until it is a classic and beyond. Also wish I still had my Hillman Imp and Toyota Celica but reality (time/money/space) didn't allow it. No clear definition on what is classic, but I reckon if you can show it at a classic car show then it's a classic. Generally this would be >20 yrs old, e.g. for 1 make parking at the Bromley Pageant http://www.bromleypageant.co.uk/cars/4580861773

5. andyH

andyH Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    1.3 ltr Copen
    It probably referred to as a "classic" because it is a classic piece of design, rather than becoming a classic by the passage of time.

In any event, cars whatever age are made to be driven, not stuck in a garage and admired

6. kate7619

kate7619 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I'm joining in!

Afternoon all, Glad to hear from other (all year round) Copen drivers!

I agree the style of the Copen design is taken from an earlier decade or 3 and that is exactly its 'classic' charm. I am sure in 30 years time it WILL become a 'real' classic as it is such a great little car - However, my Copen (59 plate) is years newer than my old (now deceased and very much missed) KA and has way more gadgets than that car did! Heated seats? seats that give toasty buns on a crappy day? NO WAY, in a car that I own?! NEVER!!! (still a cool thing to someone who has never experienced such a delight - I know, but I did have a KA and they aren't classed as a classic - and probably wont be).
    I would love another car in my garage (Figaro, DB5, Bugatti) but well, maybe after the Lottery draw tonight...I would still not part with my Copen or hesitate to use it whatever the season - locking up a Copen for a nice day is a crime punishable by scorn and laughter as I drive past them on a crappy day with my backside warm and a smile on my face.