1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That Cobra alarm battery flattener....

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Bassoon, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Bassoon

Bassoon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai i40
    Hi everyone, I haven't posted for a while. I've had my Copen for around three years now. I love it but it has always had one problem. The battery is flattened after around 10 days if I don't use the car. So I keep it on a maintenance charger. It isn't the battery (I've fitted two new ones to try) it isn't the engine not charging - no problem as long as I use the car every few days.
    The only possibility is the stupid irrelevant Cobra alarm. Has anyone found a way of disconnecting it permanently without causing a starting problem?
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Ray

2. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Ray
    Hope this is of some help.
    Cobra alarms were fitted to motor cycles as well as cars with the same discharge problems. On motor cycles when you find the alarm there is normally an in line fuse going into the alarm. This fuse can be pulled if you are parking up for a long time. Unfortunately when it is removed you will not be able to start the engine. What you can do once you have found the fuse and remove it, you can then check if there is any more discharge on your battery. If there is, there is a wiring fault other than the alarm which can discharge the battery sooner. Batteries normally discharge over a long period of time if they are disconnected from the car. If that happens there is normally a fault within the battery, even if it’s new. We always keep a battery maintenance charger connected all the time when not in use. It just simply balances out the loss of current.

On the other hand you can take it to a Cobra agent to remove it but it will impact your insurance.

3. Bassoon

Bassoon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai i40
    Hi GuzziMan (I'm a BMWMAN - same difference except for the cylinder angle !) thanks for advice. No insurer has ever asked me about an alarm and I pay peanuts for Comprehensive.
    I suppose I could put a switch in the fuse line and switch off when I park. A trickle charger is not always convenient when on holiday with the car.
    Thanks again.

4. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Ray

Ah those were the days on a BMW R75/4 with extended touring tank, panniers, tank bag, map and girlfriend touring England for some years. Cheap way for a holiday but fell in love with moto guzzi V7 special build, green tank, red frame, sport tourer which seemed to handle more of my liking. Wish I’d still got it, but I digress.

Back to charging, had the same problem with the Shogun, solved by using an AA 12V Solar Powered Panel Car Caravan Battery EOBD Trickle Charger Maintainer, which goes inside the wind screen and is still available on line for £24.99.

As we bikers all know once bitten by the bug even at the age of 71, I still can’t let go of some.