susperspats copens mods

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by superspat, Jul 9, 2014.

1. superspat

superspat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    so after about 4 weeks i picked my totally one of built hybrid turbo up a few weeks ago. and its a beauty. the only parts that are the original turbo are the intake and exhaust housing, the char is from one turbo, the inlet wheel is another and shaft is yet another turbo. so a very custom one of turbo. some pics for size comparison
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the exhaust side has had lots of machine work and lots of metal removed to fit the much larger exhaust wheel and same story with the inlet. lots machined out to fit the new comp wheel

I think it may have a nice bit of lag with lots of power when it finally comes on boost.

i have also been busy building the new intercooler pipe work but got a load of 2" ally pipe work and silicone hoses for a bargain price that made i spend hours fiddling to get it rite, still need a bit of adjustments till its how i want it.
    [​IMG]

finally got got her all back together today and apart from a flat battery she is sweet so far. only ran up to temp to bleed the rad but every looks good so far and no leaks or anything nasty.

just need to get it on a dyno now to see what boost it can run with standard fueling in till i can modify my return-less fuel rail to a return fuel system and can add a much needed fuel filter and my begi fuel regulator. can then fit my jam fcd and get the apexi fitted and all set up on dyno and hopefully get some good power

2. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    Superspat, I am in awe of what you are doing ..... biting of jobs that most of us could only dream about completing.

3. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    thanks but none of it is that difficult, just time consuming and knowing what parts you need. ive had 6 659cc kei cars so have built up a nice collection of parts. but its slowing coming to gether. actually goign to be using the car today for first time to try and smooth out and initial rubbing and knocking issues with the pipe work

4. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    so my copen is dead, sad times I know but I have slowly pulled it apart it turn out servicing the copen has killed it, the oil change had freed up a lot of hard built up carbon and dropped down in the valves and blocking the piston rings causing oil to creap up past the rings. its nto all bad tho as will be rebuilding her with fresh rings and rebuild and ported and polished head and hopefully rebuild and rolling by april, heres some lovely pictures of the skank in my engine
    exhaust port 2
    [​IMG]

exhaust port 3
    [​IMG]

and the now shinyer cams, but in between all the nuts and bolts is lumps of hard sludgy carbon ( its clearny not been service well enough)
    [​IMG]

the block is nearly all striped down now, there was lots of nasty carbonized lumps in the engine that I had to pick out, hopefully getting crank out this week and check the boars and every thing before ordering up parts as want ot make sure there is no big damage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    I noticed a few rust bubble n the rear arches and decided to start poking away, got very carried away and whish I never started now as need both rear arches cutting and welding and repainting both the rear arches, they have both b een plated in the past but looks like the job has been done by monkey as the welds are shocking( spot welded and then not treated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Those welds aren't spot welding they are tacks. Good enough on non structural parts of the car as long as there is enough of them.
    Why don't you flare the arches? It looks like your tyres stick past the arches anyway and it would be a way of hiding anything you do to cover the holes.
    You used to be able to get various sized arch flaring kits that pop riveted on and then you made good with filler. Just a thought.

7. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    There is very few spots and the gaps was were the rust has come through, I've had firber glass arches in both my okd daihatsu avanzatos and don't wanna use tgem, tge wheels poke out about 2cm but the tread is with in the confines of the arch so road legal thanks to a bit of stretch on the tires

8. stickypinkyfinger

stickypinkyfinger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Widearch Daihatsu Copen R
    Race tuned Dinli 450 RS
    Suzuki GSXR600
    wondering if you can help. PM'd you superspat

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I've never used add on flared arches but the ones I was thinking of are steel. Used to be able to get them two or three decades ago, but I don't know if they are still available.
    Rust shouldn't have come through the gaps in the tacks unless all the original rust wasn't removed.
    I would cut around the holes, which will make them bigger to get back to good thicker steel. I'd then weld plates onto the back of the holes and then fill the holes and any weld distortion.
    That will mean removing the arches and cleaning up the insides. This will also give you a chance to see how extensive the rust is and to treat the aches properly. The other alternative is replace the wings but will be very expensive.

10. threepot

threepot Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, Hijet, Celica, and Yaris!
    Pretty much most of the body work repairs I see on a weekly basis are poor at best, they will only last a couple of salty UK winters before the dreaded paint work bubbles start coming again :-((

There is one body work guy local to me who is very good though, but he isn't quick and he isn't cheap. His repairs are beautiful and one vehicle I know hasn't rusted in the same places 15 years later.

11. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    my mate is gonna be cutting/ welding the archs for me, hes a welder by trade and use to doing this type of thing, will also under seal the car while its at his work shop and clean the underneath up before hand,
    as its just a cheapo toy for me in im not bothered about it looking perfect as will be plastidipping it so can swap colours twice a year and I will only abuse it once its all set up and mapped after its been run in

are the 2 X bars under car copen for structure support or just there to protect the exhaust

12. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    They two cross members (X shaped jobies) look to be for rigidity. I've replaced one of mine with an aftermarket brace.

13. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    cool, I though they mite be

14. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    its been a while since the last post and I have been busy pulling the copens heart apart.
    head is all of and no sign of a dead head gasket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the head has been dropped off to be de carb'd and full clean and a skim just to be sure.

cleaned up the block so that's ready for the head to go back on when the time is rite
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all ready for a big clean, just wainting till I can find a nice size washing up bowl ( when the misses is at work)

pulled pistons out and started to clean them all up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

slowly getting there, can be bothered to fine polish the crowns as no point really
    [​IMG]

pistons all cleaned up and shiny ready for the new piston rings

[​IMG]

got a bit board so cleaned up and paint a few bits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will be honing the boars lightly ready for new piston rings and giving the bottom end a good clean up but its now
    its now just a waiting game for the new piston rings, stem seals and head gasket to arrive so the rebuild can start

15. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    ive been a bit quite lately, lost intrest in the copen a bit but getting my act together and slowly getting it all ready for the rebuild.

head all skimmed and starting to reseat all valves with new stem seals
    [​IMG]

ive been really lucky with getting hold of parts, I got all the parts for the rebuild from saddlestones on the IOW, brian in the parts department is really helpful and has given me lots of info needed for the rebuild, he has access to a massive Daihatsu database and is happy to give out info on the phone like valve clearances torque settings ect ect the number is 01983 872121

got new piston rings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    rehoned the boars ready for the new rings
    [​IMG]

im hopefully picking up the head tommor after getting the valve clearances all done by a pro.

then its the rebuild time

17. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    the honing tool worked a treat, done a perfect job, finaly got round to getting her back together today.

got side tracked as inlet was dirt so attacked it with my polishing kit, lol, come up good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now ive got run her in, the really boaring bit which im not looking forward to really, then of to body work and can then get her back in garage and take it apart to build a return fuel system, new fuel pump an regulator and can then finally get her set on the piggy back ecu

18. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    so I have done 500 miles since the rebuild and things are going good, apart from a thermostat housing gasket weeping a bit but waiting for a new one to arrive from japan

the copen has had some cosmetic (rust treatment) the past few days and now ready for a fresh new colour
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both rear arches now cut and plated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

just got to get the filler out and reshape both rear arches. weld on the new exhaust tips and cut out the centre siliencer so she sounds like a jet fighter. im waiting for a delivery of plastidip today and if all goes to plan she will be a fresh new colour by the sunday.

then got to pull out all the fuel system and make a return fuel system so can fit a new fuel pump, and run a adjustable fuel regulator so can up the boost to new high levels to see what the hybrid is capable of

19. JanesAddiction

JanesAddiction Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    any updates? interesting reading

20. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    JanesAddiction likes this.